The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

11 posts Page 1 of 1
I've been following the 5:2 way of life for around 8 months now. I've lost the bit of weight I wanted to lose and have been successful at maintaining it. For the most part I enjoy it - I haven't found the fasting too arduous and I like not having to count calories on the other 5 days.

That said, I've started to struggle over the past week or so. I know it's due to the change of seasons and colder weather. I always crave carbs and have increased hunger at this time of year, it happens like clockwork.

For the first week in ages I completely failed with fasting last week. I was determined to start again today but have just inhaled a salt beef sandwich and chocolate brownie. Help!

I usually fast from dinner til dinner and then consume my 500 calories all at once. I wonder if I need to adjust this to make it through the winter, as currently I'm too hungry to make it past lunchtime without food - preferably sugary food!

Any advice?
May be time to give 16/8 and it's variations down to 19/5 a try; that's 16 hours fasting with an 8 hour eating window every day, down to 19 hours fasting/5 hours eating. It works well for maintenance and still getting some of the health benefits from fasting.
I'm trying to low carb too and currently sort of cheat by having gluten-free bread and biscuits. They are small and wheat-free and tasty, also expensive enough to make me think twice whether I want it!
Soup is a wonderful way to fill up and keep warm in cold weather too :0)
Perhaps do some batch cooking of soups, casseroles, curries etc so you don't have to think 'what shall I eat' for a while.

They are also very warming to eat as it gets cooler. I struggled before 5/2 as I only drink water, no hot drinks at all, so I have nothing to warm me up during the day. I only drink water in the day on 5/2, and I like it very cold !

However having a soup for lunch is working very well. Had a lovely curry last night and steamed courgettes.
I agree with minigill, soups, stews and casseroles are the way to make healthy comfort food, especially if you make them with beans and vegetables as you'll be able to make things for relatively few calories!
Ripely the soups on the forum are fantastic. We are just coming out of winter in Aussie and I marvelled at the cauliflower garlic soup, the mushroom spinach garlic one and the tomato and capsicum. If you stick to them say for lunch you have enough cals left over for a mini dinner as well. That would be teas. / coffee to lunch to lunch. As an 8 month pro you will cope it's only a glitch, go girl
Some stews/curries are very low cals, mine was 152 for a big bowl and 20K for veg. I couldn't eat more of it if I tried !
Thanks for your replies! I would find it difficult to make soups for lunch, I work quite long hours and would have to make batches and bring it in to work - I could do it, but not sure if I would. I've been reading up on 16:8 which is a variation of IF that I didn't know about, as I'm in a maintenance phase already I think I will give this a try and see how it goes.
Could you make some in your time off or when you have time available, then take into work and heat up ?
Hi Minigill,

Yes I could, it's definitely possible, but after 8 months I also feel as if I need a change from 5:2 so am willing to give 16:8 a chance. The idea of having every day the same instead of not looking forward to 'fasting day' (lately I have not been looking forward to it) appeals. Of course I could make soups for work as part of 16:8 too.

Jill
What about looking at store bought soups? I ate a can of low-cal rice chicken soup last week on my fast day. It was labeled as 168 calories for the whole can, which made up into quite a large serving and was very satisfying.

BTW... I can't tell where you are located. I'm in Canada and the soup I had was Sobey's Compliments brand, low-cal soup.
Thanks - I'm in London but I'm sure there are similar things here. Today is my first 16:8 day - onwards and upwards! :)
11 posts Page 1 of 1