The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

5 posts Page 1 of 1
stuck!
11 Mar 2014, 12:52
I have been doing 5:2 since September 2013 and initially I really enjoyed it and lost quite a bit of weight. Since January however, I haven't lost any weight at all and I don't know how to get it shifting again! I'm losing motivation so any ideas would be appreciated.
Re: stuck!
11 Mar 2014, 13:54
Hi @BryBarxI wish I had the answer to that one as I've been on a similar course as you this year.
My usual advice is back to basic real "true" fasting + watching your feed day calories because we can soon take our eye off the ball, so yesterday's fast for me was brilliant and feeling good today because of that fact alone.
Reducing your carb intake could kickstart your weightloss again this worked for me last year.
I've just kicked myself up the backside once again because I feel as if I've wasted 3 months!!! + with another 50lbs to go well I can't afford to waste such time. :heart: Sue.

true fasts + cautious feed days is the answer.
11 Mar 2014, 14:47
@carorees recently wrote this in the 4:3 tent, it might be an idea to add 16:8 to your regime @BryBarx....

Regarding 16:8, I think that by at least keeping the fasting momentum by having a longish period with no food even on feast days it helps to keep the body in fat-burning mode by allowing insulin levels to fall. If you are insulin resistant (which is a good bet if you carry your fat around your middle), this is due to the cells that should respond to insulin by taking up glucose from the blood (the fat, liver and muscle cells) becoming resistant to the effects of insulin. Because the body needs to keep blood glucose tightly controlled it increases the amount of insulin it produces. Allowing insulin levels to fall by not eating and specifically by not eating carbohydrates means that the cells become more sensitive to insulin. This means that blood glucose levels fall faster after a meal and the body can then switch to fat burning mode more easily. Fasting on two days a week allows the drop in insulin to happen twice a week but by fasting for 16 hours on at least some days as well as 5:2 you can give things a boost.

There is also some evidence that fasting can help leptin sensitivity too. Leptin is a hormone produced by the fat cells to tell your brain that they are full up and would you kindly stop eating! So high leptin should mean reduced appetite. However, in obesity there is also leptin resistance in which leptin levels are high but the appetite is not decreased the way it should be. Fasting seems to allow leptin levels to fall enough so that the brain becomes more sensitive again and this may be the reason why the day after a fast we are not all that hungry. Again, having a good long overnight fast of 16 hours will help with this.

You don't have to do 16:8, but the concept of having a good period with no food each day (so no night-time snacking essentially) is, I think, beneficial for our bodies.

Just a thought.... :heart:
11 Mar 2014, 16:15
@BriBarx I think it's the time of the year, when I was trying to lose weight ( I am now maintaining ) it always took me a couple of months to get over the over indulgences of Christmas and new year, even while maintaining I have been at the top of my allowed weight swing for 2 months I am hoping that my constant battle to get back to the eating pattern I follow for most of the year will bring it back in line. The weight will start to drop soon. :like: :clover:
11 Mar 2014, 16:20
Sorry I spelt @BryBarx in the above post. :razz: :curse:
5 posts Page 1 of 1