The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

42 posts Page 3 of 3
I think those that calorie count or watch what they are eating on feed days, like me, do so in order to get a bit better weight loss results than the average, which is 1 lb a week. Mainly doing this to stay close to TDEE. Also on the original Horizon program, I think it has been brought up that it was a bit misleading on this idea that you can eat whatever you want on feed days and still lose weight - That may be true for maintaining, but not for weight lose as far as I can tell from the forum posts and my own experience.
I remember once a diet that relied on hypnosis and also a few very simple rules. If I remember, the rules were:

1. Eat when you are hungry. Eat what you want to eat.
2. Enjoy every single bite of what you eat.
3. When you are no longer hungry, stop eating.

Rule 2 entailed slowing down your chewing and chewing more for each bite of food, pausing in between bites to put your fork down, taking a breath, and before you took another bite, asking yourself if you were still hungry.

The whole exercise was to develop a mindfulness in your eating. If you followed the rules you would never suddenly realize while watching TV that you had an empty bag of potato chips at your fingertips that was full before you started watching TV.

I think calorie counting on your feed days can be thought of in those terms -- a tool to make you more-mindful of what you are eating, to help you pay attention to your body as you eat. That sort of thing. It's not meant to complicate things, but for some people it helps them reign it in and not "accidentally" blow through their TDEE by 1000 or more calories and not even enjoying the food you just consumed.

:grin:
For me, counting out my TDEE has been very important in helping me off a recent long plateau.
So I am joining in here to add my personal bit though reaffirming a lot of what has already been said.

-One learns that as one loses weight i.e. has a smaller body to fuel one needs less, or healthier food, to carry on losing or even to maintain the new low. The TDEE gets less. I am glad I counted when not losing as it re-educated me permanently.

- I do enjoy my normal days NOT counting, which ARE normal and mostly not OTT. I basically want to eat healthily and not forfeit the advantages I now have, not least better health and vigour.

-I find that I do not any more crave cream, chocolate, wine, cake, biscuits, crisps, but am able to enjoy them with no guilt (I cannot gorge as it makes me feel ghastly and isn't worth it) and the fast days are there for back-up.

-It has not spoilt my relaxed attitude. My husband never counts calories nor ever will, but has the treats he wants, asks me to add up for our fast days to get them right, and he's happy saying this is for life. That is someone who was adamantly " never going to diet" patently knowing he needed to! I notice that he too is being more circumspect on normal days, and actually uses the word " calorie". Wow!
Exactly so "Different strokes for different folks!" Hurray for 5:2 :like:
Thanks so much for the feedback! Personally, I will NEVER count calories on my "eat" days. To me that will just be one more awful calorie counting diet that I won't stick to. If I stall, I've decided I will do 4:3. In fact, there's a book out called The Alternate Day Diet that is being revised and will be out around Christmas. I believe you fast every other day with that book. In any event, that's my Christmas gift to me! So I'm ready for my first plateau which I know we all go through.

I'm hoping my husband will start doing this with me. Now way will he count ANYTHING, but I'd be happy to count his 600 calories for him on fast days.

It's so good that we're all finding what works for us...calorie counting every day or not!
"Never" is a big word to say...
Guitar1969 wrote: I think it has been brought up that it was a bit misleading on this idea that you can eat whatever you want on feed days and still lose weight

linguistically "whatever you want" may not mean "as much as you want" - it could mean you can eat your TDEE in burgers & fries or in ice cream or in lard.
I count on this forum nowadays, to entertain, to inform and to stimulate my continued passion to keep going with 5:2.
In the past I counted points with Weight Watchers, cals and kilojoules with Slimming mags.
I have counted my weight and fat and muscle with Curves programmes, had individual sessions with trainers, walked bushwalks of 30 kms up huge valley stairways, swum laps...
I too benefitted from the hypnosis tapes and ideas.

Ah yes, and now 5:2. What a huge relief! It works, it's intuitive, it's practical, it's adaptable. It's flexible and it's encouraging!
We can relax around food.
Now, I can forgive my heel spurs for hobbling my walk plans.
Isn't it great to experiment with vegetarian at home and omnivarian out and about. With low carbs/low GI/low fats/low protein/low salt/high fibre/high fats/high protein/ all sorts of lovable food options!
I feel great reading the detailed accounts, and empathise with the highs and lows.
I just already know that the slow loss of weight is working, I'll be unselfconscious about my bathers figure this summer and my health is quietly ticking along getting better. How fantastic!!! And thanks to you all, :hugleft: :hugright:
TML said......................

""Never" is a big word to say..."

Sometimes it's the ONLY word to say, as in.......'George Clooney will NEVER ask me to run away from home with him!' :rotfl:

Ballerina x :heart:
Ballerina, maybe if he had seen you in that bandage dress...... :wink:
He would have to be bandaged, and gagged, before he'd run away with me but thank you anyway for the compliment, you foxy looking lady. Can't quite get used to the new you, but I will persevere :lol:

ballerina x :heart:
I disagree. You simply don't know if George Clooney would do that...
42 posts Page 3 of 3