The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

10 posts Page 1 of 1
The courage to fast
17 Nov 2015, 23:33
I was involved with fastday.com for over two years. While I was an active participant I got lots of information and support and above all lost lots of weight loss. In early summer I became too busy with life and stopped checking in and that's when my weight loss stopped just four pounds away from my goal. I feel guilty that I stopped fasting because I believe in its power, I also feel guilty that I let my fasting buddy @Lildown by not providing the support she needed. By not following the 5:2 plan I became less mindful of what I was eating. Carbs are my poison. Overeating is now the norm.
For the last month I have contemplated getting back in the groove but? Here I am enjoying a glass of wine along with a very nice cranberry cheddar. I am planning a Thanksgiving Dinner and all that goes with it. My fridge is full of nutritious healthy options yet when I look it seems there is nothing to eat. If its not full of fat, sugar or flour I just don't want it!
So over the past few months I have put on 6.5 pounds...not all that bad but its the ever increasing number...slowly creeping weight gain. I am a coward! I know 5:2 is the answer to my problem yet I cringe at the thought of starting again even though my past experience was not so terribly difficult. Just how do I summon the courage to start fasting again?
Re: The courage to fast
18 Nov 2015, 00:17
Welcome back @clairemarie, two years ago I was where you are now. I started 5:2 in January 2013, reached my modest target by July 2013 and maintained until September of that year. Then, life got in the way and I reverted to my old way of eating and stopped visiting the form. No prizes for guessing what happened next! Moving swiftly on, by January 2014 I had regained thirteen and a half pounds and returned to 5:2. I got back to target by my 65th birthday in March 2014. Since then I have maintained by using 5:2 when necessary.
I lost my weight by cutting out absolutely nothing! I cut down, but never out! If I wanted a glass of red, then I had it. If I wanted cranberry cheddar, then ditto. This WOE has to be a WOL and I couldn't contemplate a life of not eating the things that give me pleasure - in my case foods of the sugary/fatty kind!
I know that for many people on this forum carbs are the enemy but they don't have to be! You don't have to give up the things you enjoy, just enjoy them in slightly more moderation. Don't look on this as something that you have been 'guilted' into by other people. It only works if you want to do it for you!
I would suggest that you stop worrying about the things that you have to give up (not!) and just get started - when you are ready. You will probably find that when you stop agonising about it, you will wake up one day and say to yourself - right this is the day that I begin. After all, fasting doesn't take much preparation - you just stop eating for a few hours! Easy! :smile:
Good luck with whatever you decide but I do strongly recommend that you continue to keep in touch with this forum. That was the mistake I made back in 2013 and it's not one that I intend to repeat!
Let us know how you get on - when/if you decide to 'take the plunge'.
18 Nov 2015, 01:30
What a great encouraging post,@StowgateResident. Yes, I'm with you. Guilt is out. Just fast 2 days a week and give up on the cheese and wine on those days, and all the other days, eat what you like and enjoy. That's not to say over indulge on those days, but don't deprive yourself of what brings joy and pleasure to life. I don't want to live in a world where I can't have a bun or a piece of cake, let alone a lovely slice of crusty fresh bread and butter! Oh drool drool! I'm fasting. Off to the Fasting today thread where I won't be tempted.
18 Nov 2015, 03:08
Well said to Stowgate resident and Sally. I cant say it better.

Keep trying. Guilty feelings are never necessary. Determination, confidence in yourself is needed. You did it before, you can do it again!
18 Nov 2015, 09:10
@clairemarie, good to have you back. I've never really given up but I did lose heart for a long time and I was really just pretending to fast so I put on a lot more weight than you. During all that time I've stuck with the forum, had I not then goodness knows what my weight would be. I have recently got back into it properly and have started losing weight again, it coincided with a change or hours and job at work but it also just happened naturally. I like the way I feel when I am lighter, I don't like how I feel when I am heavier, never mind what I look like! My advise to you would be to keep coming on to the forum every day and hopefully you'll get back into it when you are ready.
18 Nov 2015, 09:20
If you find the idea of doing a fastday daunting, you could try easing into it by doing an eating window? Did you just do one meal on your fast days? If so, try a day of one big meal but with no restrictions at all - but have a cut-off time beyond which you will not snack or sip the vino. You could do several of these and then when ready just have a 500 cal meal and be doing your first 5:2 day. However you go about it, please stay here and keep trying.
18 Nov 2015, 13:17
Hi there @clairemarie I think you've made the first step by posting on the forum like this. You've come back before and you can do it again. The damage is not that bad but it is the slow creep that we need to be beware of. Like I said the other day I think you need to be brave and update your tracker. Do you think you could get in one fast before thanksgiving to help counter the possible damage? Or maybe take the resolution to start after thanksgiving but before Christmas? I do look at the forum every day if I am at home although I don't always post so I will be here to cheer you along the way if you decide to go for it. I am currently going through a bit of a plateau for who knows what reason but am gritting my teeth and carrying on - I know it's worked for me in the past and it can again and at least a plateau is not a gain. Hoping to see you around on the forum again
18 Nov 2015, 19:32
Welcome back @clairemarie "Just how do I summon the courage to start fasting again?" - well your fabulous post was a first step and with all the great advice and support above I hope you find your route through the mire that from time to time challenges us all, in different ways. You are not alone and your experience is shared. I'm a great believer of visiting daily even if not to post. If I had not the visited the forums daily my brain would no longer be in gear to find my solutions that leads to my success. I hope your post encourages others struggling to have the courage to speak out. :heart: :clover: :victory:
20 Nov 2015, 06:43
I'd say: didn't YOU take the first step, coming to the forum and baring your soul?
20 Nov 2015, 08:12
Some great advice here and just what I needed. I have been messing up fast days as I did yesterday. I really need to get back on track as I don't want to start going backwards! I am so grateful for the words of wisdom. I am mending my ways as from now!! Thank you.
10 posts Page 1 of 1