The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

19 posts Page 2 of 2
Re: Thoughts on 3:4
11 Aug 2013, 05:20
I have done every other day...it was about five years ago using a book by Dr Johnson known online as JUDDD. You will get plenty of info if you put JUDDD into google. But, on that plan you start on 600 calories per day. There is a calculator on Dr Johnson's site where you can input age, height and weight and it tells you how many calories you should eat a day. It actually has options for 20%, 35% and 50% of your daily recommended calories.

One of the main reasons I prefer 4:3 to ADF is because I like having set fast days of MWF much better than every other day. It is easier to plan your life, social events, long weekends, holidays, etc. With every other day you need a calendar to figure out days in the future. It is more complicated to switch days if a set in stone event falls on your fast day, too.

When I did ADF I used 700 calories on fast days and I did lose better than I am on 4:3. However, I also burned out with diet fatigue and ultimately failed and regained. So, 4:3 is slower but IMO more sustainable for me personally . I sometimes do a few rotations of ADF after a holiday, vacation or to break through a plateau. I think of it as a short term boost type thing now. I want 4:3 to be my main plan, 5:2 to be maintenance and ADF would be like a fast pass to take off a little extra. Well, that is the ideal I am aiming for anyway. :)
11 Aug 2013, 05:47
Your plan sounds good to me 43tweaker!

Never heard of JUDDD

Cute name Up day Down Day

Good summary here http://www.johnsonupdaydowndaydiet.com/html/diet-landing.html including the reasons traditional diets dont work

from that section

We need a plan to combat the genetic instinct to consume as many calories as possible in an environment where tasty food is cheap and plentiful. We need a plan that takes human nature into account but still provides a clear strategy for weight loss success.
11 Aug 2013, 06:33
zillz wrote:
Moogie wrote: We do have a handful of members doing ADF if you look at the tracker :) As long as you have a day between each fast it's fine. I think ADF is generally about 800-1000 calories for a fast day.

800-1000 calories on alternate days would almost certainly lead to weight loss, but what about the other benefits of fasting? Krista Varady's ADF studies were done with 500 calories or 25% of TDEE.

The fasting benefits come from the period without food don't they? So as long as you split your cals in such a way as to have a good fasting period (eg 2x 12 hour fasts, a 16 hour fast or 24 hours etc) I should think its all good :)
11 Aug 2013, 07:12
There is a forum that has lots of ADF fasters on it...like here people do a variety of calorie levels. A few do zero or only coffee with cream and coconut oil, the majority do about 300-400 calories and a handful like myself were more comfortable at 600 or 700. Results may vary of course...but, I think there is plenty of success at whatever calorie level you choose. The best choice is the one you feel like you can sustain.
19 posts Page 2 of 2