The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

26 posts Page 2 of 2
Re: time to "wine" again
20 Mar 2014, 16:20
No, I'm not 100% teetotal, but do feel more in control of my wine! Hub is a home brewer (a very good one, too) so we always have red wine around. I did try vodka and lemonade, but that was too darned expensive!

Here's the website for the Dryathlon. I shall be doing it again in 2015.

http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/support ... /dryathlon
20 Mar 2014, 16:50
Hi Humpty,

I had cut down before starting 5:2, but that is still my drinking pattern. Not every midweek tho, in fact I do try my best not to. But definitely every weekend :oops:

Of course I did start eating far too much as well after I moved in with my partner and I piled on the pounds but I was already overweight by then. So it's a combination of less food and drink that's shifted the weight.
20 Mar 2014, 18:02
It's definitely the wine that did the damage and put some weight back on me the last few days .....drinking red wine 'til the cows came home with my friends, whom I don't see often....such fun though. For hubby and me wine is our downfall.
I think that 4:3 keeps us on the straight and narrow.....that can't be a bad thing.
20 Mar 2014, 23:41
So, I was telling my mum (who is 65 and Scottish) about this forum and we had a laugh, cause she said, if this had been an Italian forum they would have been shocked. What???? You drink more than half a glass of wine a month???
No kidding.... We feel like aliens here...and I was brought up in this country!!! Obviously I got all the Scottish genes, including blue -grey skin, freckles and bingo wings! Hurray!!!!
20 Mar 2014, 23:44
I will add... my dad has olive skin, dark hair and green/brown eyes. The three of us (three daughters) are all fair skinned and have blue eyes!!!! So much for the dark gene being stronger! Scots win!!! :-)
21 Mar 2014, 00:57
I think maybe it might be wise to lower the bar and think you can only have one glass of 100mls per night at max and if you want to make it into 2 glasses make it that you drink spritzers eg lot. Of mineral water good Italian sparkling and 1/2 your wine and for the second glass again 50 mls wine and the rest the mineral water. If you need more of a taste add fresh lime juice. That way you get your 2 drinks have reduced your wine and you are drinking sparkling mineral water which you like

Best of luck and just think you are reducing your carbs and breaking that habit. Love my wine too and found a spritzer really can work
21 Mar 2014, 04:41
humptydumpty wrote: #michael H that sounds like good advice, postponing the third glass..... and having sparklking water (which I love) in between. Oh, I don't drink every day, it's just that when I do, that's what happens. Rarely, VERY rarely I have managed to stick to the one glass before dinner. They do sell half litre bottles here. Or maybe it's less than that. you get two large glasses out of one, or maybe 3 medium ones

Also, when you postpone that third glass, it's important not to choose a certain time you're "aloud" to have it, you should make the time indefinite and rather vague, like "soon" or "in a while". The sparkling water or something else is for distraction. Hmm.., I might do a few pushups or something.
21 Mar 2014, 09:33
I'm an "every day but fast-day" wine drinker, so I drink 5 or 6 nights a week, try to stick to 1/2 bottle, more at weekends or if I go out. I can do the teetotal thing, but I cant find enough of an incentive to cut down, to do it very often. I do sometimes worry that too high a percentage of my calories goes on wine, easily 25-30% some days
21 Mar 2014, 11:55
Minumonline wrote: I'm an "every day but fast-day" wine drinker, so I drink 5 or 6 nights a week, try to stick to 1/2 bottle, more at weekends or if I go out. I can do the teetotal thing, but I cant find enough of an incentive to cut down, to do it very often. I do sometimes worry that too high a percentage of my calories goes on wine, easily 25-30% some days

That's me! I don't find it hard not to drink on fast days but the day after I definitely have one, or two glasses. Friday, Saturday and Sunday more like 3-4 glasses. Although having lost this weight and eating less on non-fast day drinking alcohol affects me much more.
21 Mar 2014, 12:05
the ultimate guide to

CALORIES IN WINE

http://winefolly.com/update/calories-in-wine/
21 Mar 2014, 13:37
I've felt embarrassed for a while about my drinking habits so although some folk might be a bit shocked at this confessional thread, I take some comfort that I'm not alone. It's been good for me to admit that I'm a lush :oops:

So tonight I'm not going to say "Great 6 o'clock it's cocktail hour" and get stuck in as I normally would on a Friday. Instead I plan to do some baking and knitting. I'll try to wait until dinner, usually about 9pm. Hopefully that way I won't be a snoring, slavering troll by 11pm :sleepy: , as seems to happen more and more often these days. (sse it's my age,not the drink :wink: ) I have tonic water to alternate or water down and I'm going to keep the open bottle in the kitchen, not beside my seat, so I can't mindlessly fill up.

That's the plan but personally I reckon I'll be climbing the walls by 8pm :bugeyes:
26 posts Page 2 of 2