The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

7 posts Page 1 of 1
Loss of water
23 Feb 2013, 21:02
Why.......

Today is my 4th fast day and apart from feeling intermittently hungry I keep going to the loo. :shock: I am constantly weeing, every 20 mins or so.

I have eating my cal allowance for today and have not drank huge amounts.

Does anyone else have this issue, or am I doing something wrong..... :?:

Thanks......
Re: Loss of water
23 Feb 2013, 21:14
Had that too, it's to do with burning glycogen, I think.
23 Feb 2013, 21:33
Hmm is that a good thing ?
23 Feb 2013, 21:36
Yep. Will look and see why, hang on.

Couldn't find the appropriate answer so this is taken from a low-carb diet FAQ...

Frequent Urination: After the first day or so, you'll notice that you are in the bathroom urinating more often. Your body is burning up the extra glycogen (stored glucose) in your liver and muscles. Breaking down glycogen releases a lot of water. As your carb intake and glycogen stores drop, your kidneys will start dumping the excess water.
In addition, as your circulating insulin levels drop, your kidneys start excreting excess sodium, which will also cause more frequent urination. (see this reference).

Fatigue and Dizziness: As you start dumping water, you'll lose minerals such as salt, potassium and magnesium as well. Having lower levels of these minerals will make you very, very tired, lightheaded or dizzy, give you muscle cramps, and headaches. This is one of the most common of the low carb diet side effects, and it can be avoided for the most part by making sure you get enough replacement minerals.
You can counteract the mineral losses by eating more salt or drinking salty broth, and eating potassium containing foods. (Dairy foods, green leafy vegetables and avocados are high in potassium).
23 Feb 2013, 21:44
Hmm now that is interesting. I dont feel dizzy or tired which is a good thing.

I did eat huge amounts of veg with my dinner and had it with protein, dont like the low carb its too hard to maintain.......

Thanks very much the info, I appreciate it. Maybe tomorrow the scales will be nice to me :)

On that note I have to go wee again lol
23 Feb 2013, 22:01
Basically, you burn carbs, then glycogen and then fat...
23 Feb 2013, 22:13
Thats a plus in all 3 of them then :)
7 posts Page 1 of 1