The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

5 posts Page 1 of 1
Chinese Food before fast day!
25 Feb 2013, 19:32
Just wondering if anybody else had a similar experience.

Last Wednesday I went out to a Chinese restaurant with my friend. As I was fasting the next day I didn't drink any wine (Good Lord the changes in my life)
I didn't overeat but at the same time ate all that I wanted to.
By the end of the night I felt quiet smug, being able to eat Chinese food while on a "diet" and then driving home.

However the next morning, I felt terrible.
I was craving toast with lots of butter.
It felt exactly like a hangover.
I struggled through the day and the only thing that stopped me giving up was logging on to the forum and reading other peoples stories.
I just wondered could it be the MSG that is often used in Chinese food.
and if anybody else has had a similar experience :?:
Interesting! I had a similar experience in reverse when I had a Chinese meal the evening after fasting. I had been keeping off the carbs before and during the fast and, as it happened, during the following day as well until it came to the Chinese meal 'reward', then I couldn't stop eating! Don't know if it was the MSG or just the sugars that I suspect lurk there. And I didn't feel great the next day I must say. Felt like I had binged :oops:

I have had healthy lighter Asian food even on fast days without problem, but I think this type of 'Traditional Chinese' (traditional in UK anyway) - with all that gloopy sauce - is a real trigger for me. I would definitely avoid it the night before a fasting day, and even more so after hearing your experience!
Hi Emerald, I have experienced Chinese 'hangovers' in the past, before 5:2, but always enjoy it at the time but generally wake up in the night with a raging thirst and headache - I have always put it down to MSG but don't know for a fact!
Hi Dominic & Rachel,
Glad to hear others relate.
I think in future, like you suggest Dominic, I'll just avoid them the night before a fast day. Will probably avoid them more often in general, as clearly something in them has an unhealthy affect
That said, sometimes you just can't beat a chicken curry on a Friday Night.
But a least I can give into my cravings for hot buttered toast the next morning, as Saturday will never be a fast day for me.
Ah the beauty of 5:2 :)
having a chuckle at the Just Eat Online Takeaway advert at the bottom of my page under this thread! how do they know???
5 posts Page 1 of 1