The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

12 posts Page 1 of 1
It's my third fast today and I am so so hungry. I didn't really get hungry with my first two fasts and the only difference I can identify is that I ate a lot more and a lot later yesterday on my feast day. It's 3 hours till I can eat what I've planned and I'm finding it challenging to cope wih the intense hungr pains I have. Have you any tips for dealing with them? I've drunk loads of black coffee but that doesn't seem to be helping...Any ideas most gratefully received.
Distract yourself with something physical. Go for a walk, rearrange your furniture, clean out your kitchen cupboards, just keep yourself busy and you'll forget you're hungry. Keep hydrated with no calorie drinks. If you really can't cope have a piece of fruit, but it is possible and if you keep busy the hunger will soon pass. Good luck! :)
I'm not sure whether black coffee is a good hydrater at all but I'm sure other folk on here will know more about that than me... I would try sipping as much water as you can and having fruit tea as well which can be very refreshing on a fast day. Good luck.
Demi's and pumpkin's advice sounds good, I would add that if you have to eat something make sure it is not simple carbs i.e. sugar. Fruit could be dangerous! Also I think it's significant that you ate a lot on the night before the fast, next time if poss keep it light-ish and above all low carb. My experience is that I don't feel so full (satiated) eating a low carb meal but then I don't get so hungry again afterwards...
I drink water or black coffee. If I am really desperate I have a 'stock' drink (Bovril, Marigold or cube), it sort of convinces the mind you are having something more substantial than water...

But the fasts do get easier - honest x
Hang in there. It's all more of a mental thing, if you subconsciously keep telling yourself you're hungry...you're bound to get ravenous.

Attempt to ignore it with doing some chores, going out for a walk, reading a book. Watch re-runs of you're favourite t.v. shows on-line.

Also exercise is the best appetite suppressant...seriously lol. Try doing some moderately intense work-outs in your home. Jillian Micheals' 30 Day Shred is available for free on youtube. Or why not dance to some music lool. Keep yourself hydrated and the hunger should dissipate.

Hang in there!
When i'm hungry on my fast days, I find the most satisfying thing for me is a mug of chicken bouillon. It's warm and comforting, and filling.
If really hungry, try to do something to distract myself. Or boil the kettle...
Thankyou all - some great tips there.
Remember why you are doing it, there is no greater motivator than the end goal. Write down all the reasons you started this and then do anything to try and distract yourself and always bear in mind that it's just one day, tomorrow you can have any or all of things you want today:)
Good luck
Thanks Starskey. Yes, the great thing about the diet is that it's only one day - it is so heartening to realise you don't have long to wait for a good nosh up!
I have a mug of hot black coffee. It works every time. It is also teaching me that I can have a coffee without biscuits!
12 posts Page 1 of 1