The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

4 posts Page 1 of 1
have it down to these 4 below

Fitbit One Wireless Activity Plus Sleep Tracker
Polar FT4
Polar FT7
Timex

Just not sure which one to get.. Which one would you recommend and why?
From what I understand a lot of people prefer the Polar FT4/FT7 due to its price and versatility in picking up accurate readings of total calories burned over the course of a day and/or activity.

FitBit from what I understand is not water resistant, and since it's more of a clip does not assess your heart rate accurately compared to a HRM when your doing activities such as weigh lifting, swimming, bicycling etc.

I'm not sure if you've done this but quite a few have asked this question on the forums on MyFitness Pal. Have a go and search their forums or even inquire on the fitness thread.

In my opinion I would certainly go for the Polar or a comparable HRM.
I have an older Polar which takes inputs for vo2max etc to get calories spot on. Check the manuals online to see what custom entries are used in the calcs.
I have both at fitbit one and a polar ft4. I wear the fitbit all day everyday and it is a very motivating tool for keeping you walking and moving during the day. It doesn't measure heart rate at all, just steps and also floors/hills. It bases calorie use on steps and the frequency of steps. It's great. I use my polar to get a more accurate reading of activities that are not step based such as strength training. I then enter how much energy I spent on the fitbit website and it gives a more accurate calorie burn for those types of activities. Comparing the harm and fitbit on step based activities such as walking or running, the calorie burn is very similar I find.
4 posts Page 1 of 1