The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

3 posts Page 1 of 1
holidays- what to do?
04 Mar 2013, 11:36
As the 5:2 is supposed to be a sustainable way of living, I am interested in thoughts of how to manage eating while on holiday. Will you leave fasting for the time you are away? Fast on travel days? Try and keep it up?
I'm having visitors next week for a fortnight and it usually ends up as the 'indulge and bulge tour' with everything revolving around food and drink. As I'm at home hosting, I'm intending to try and keep up 5:2ing.
Thoughts, comments, ideas...?
:confused: :?:
loving the new smilies!
Re: holidays- what to do?
04 Mar 2013, 12:06
I don't fast on holiday or when I have visitors (might make them inhibited about enjoying the food I've prepared). I do try to keep things under control by choosing the tastiest healthy options and not snacking between meals but don't guilt trip if I end up chosing something calorie-laden - we are supposed to be having fun!
I also try not to leap on the scales the moment I am back home, and to give it a week doing the normal 5:2 before weighing myself. If I then find I have gained a couple of pounds, well, it will only take a couple of weeks to lose it again, so no worries. In fact, the first fast is greeted with relief.
Re: holidays- what to do?
04 Mar 2013, 13:22
We went away two weeks ago. We fasted the day before we left and the day after we returned. We were staying at our daughter's, who eats really healthily anyway, but by listening to my body, instead of eating just because food was available, I returned with a gain of just 1/4 of a pound! My husband who was slightly more free with his choices, gained three pounds, but this was obviously down to fluid retention from extra carbs, and we both went on to loose what we had gained, plus 2 more pounds, the following week.

Having visitors is more tricky because, as NoraBoswell, says, you don't want to inhibit them by your own choice of WOE. I don't fast but I provide the food I would normally make, some quite calorie-laden, and decide what of it I really want to eat. Even in a fortnight, provided you don't eat everything in sight, you may put on a few pounds but as long as you get back to 5:2 as soon as they've gone, the weight will come off.

I don't know if this helps but good luck with whatever choices you make.
3 posts Page 1 of 1