The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

4 posts Page 1 of 1
Fast day foods for Americans
25 Mar 2013, 02:48
Hi, I live in Westchester NY. I read about the 5:2 WOL earlier this month in an NY times article and was intrigued. started 3 weeks ago and I'm very happy. For about 8 years I have been maintaining my healthy weight by restricting calories to 1400-1500 a day and exercising a lot. For me this WOL is liberating...Anyway over the years I discovered great food products that are very low in calories and yet very filling and satisfying. Some you have to buy online. Here are some examples:
Fiber gourmet have high fiber crackers in individual packages- each bag is 70 cals.
They also have low cal high fiber pasta- you can get these products in Amazon.
Almond milk is great. The unsweetened version is about 30-40 cal a cup. You can buy this in regular supermarkets now..
chatila bakery is a bakery that has great low cal high fiber high protein sugar free muffins and other products that can be ordered online in their website: chatilasbakery.com. I have been eating their muffins for breakfast for years. Each has about 80-90 cals and very satisfying. I would recommend to weight them though as they range between 70-100 grams so you have to recalculate the cals based on their weight. Fat free Greek yogurt is amazing too. Very high in protein and low cal. Egg white products like egg bitters are very useful for me in my fasting days. I make an omelette with 3 oz. of egg bitters, 1/2 oz. feta cheese and 85 grams of mushrooms fried in 1/4 tsp of olive oil for 110 cals. Good luck to you all.
Thanks for the ideas! Good luck with 5:2.
On fast days, I keep it pretty simple. Usually eggs or plain egg whites, maybe some fish, and lots and lots of green veggies. I think it is important to eat the vegies. Not only because they pack in a lot of nutrition, but because you want to begin to change the way you eat. If you are still eating muffins and risotto on fast days, then that is what you will crave on feed days. You will never learn to appreciate the great taste of, say, raw spinach. You stay stuck in the same bad eating habits that put on the weight in the first place.
Don't worry Rufus. I love my veggies and eat plenty every day... Have been doing this for many years. This new WOL introduced me to fruits which I avoided before due to my caloric restrictions but now I can enjoy eating apples, grapefruits, tangerines and blueberries and this makes me very happy. I do love eating the Chatila bakery muffins for breakfast because of their high nutritional values; high fiber, protein and low carb and calories. They really fill me before my morning work out for less than 100 cals :)
4 posts Page 1 of 1