The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

7 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi all

Apologies if this has been discussed to death before (please point me in the right direction if so :smile: !), but I started 5:2 last week (so today is my third fast day), and I am astounded that I can fit small versions of breakfast, lunch and dinner into my allotted 500 calories per day, and also include a snack, and I don't feel deprived at all!

My fast days tend to look like this:
Breakfast - medium hard boiled egg (70 cals)
Lunch - small portion of soup (150 cals)
Afternoon snack - cup of instant miso soup (18 cals)
Dinner - small chicken breast with a heap of steamed veg (250 cals)

After reading a lot about this diet before starting, I am under the impression that spreading my calories throughout the day like this is neither better nor worse than saving them all up for one large meal. Is this the general consensus here too? I am merely asking as I want to benefit as much as possible from this way of eating, and at the moment I feel as though it's almost too easy (!), as spreading my calories over the course of the day means that I am rarely hungry!

Many thanks in advance for any help you can give a newbie :smile:
I have had three meals for my fast day and it worked well. I think you just have to see how you get on with it. I now eat lunch and dinner on my fast days.
I have three meals on a fast day and it works really well for me.
Thanks guys - it's good to know that I'm on the right track, and that this way of eating really is as doable as I first thought!
I eat throughout the day and have still done well on this diet
If you are eating throughout the day, you are not getting the full benefit of fasting. You might try seeing how long you can go without a snack or meal. Often times, a snack will only make you hungrier.

I try to aim for one or two small meals a day with no snacks in between. Eventually, I will only have the one meal. I find the fasting/calorie restriction gets easier each time.
On my last fast day I had breaky, lunch dinner and two snacks. I simply cannot do otherwise since my stomach is on the sensitive side and gets really upset if I don't feed it regularly!
7 posts Page 1 of 1