The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

16 posts Page 1 of 2
It's a well known fact in my house. I LOVE, no, ADORE hot cross buns!

The thought of them: the spicy sweet smell, sticky shiny glossy yummyness, the fruit and peel like buried treasures, that first bite when you sink your teeth into that soft mound of temptation and wait for the burst of flavour to hit....

...Alas, the reality is never the same <sigh>. I bought a six pack from Asda this morning. Never mind soft buns...try rock cakes :( . so dry they crumbled when cut, tasted stale with no burst of flavour. As for the fruit, I'm not even going there...

So. Why is it that on this, the second week on this new WOE, after congratulating myself on doing so well i.e. no bingeing...I've eaten all six today (shakes head in despair), in the space of 7 hours!

I didn't enjoy them so why, oh why did I eat them? Aargh!

Tomorrow is another day.

Vennessa
hi vennessa

We all do weird and wonderful things. I now ask myself whether I will really enjoy eating something before putting it in my mouth. The chocolate unfortunately does still keep passing the test LOL. I have at least tried to buy chocolate snacks that average around the 100 calorie mark rather than the 300 so at least if I do end up eating 3!! It is still only about the equivalent of a mars bar or a snickers...

the first week of the fasting diet though - I threw away a really nice pudding only half eaten as it was too many calories and we were being good. Normally that would have been gone the same day! So major improvement!
I feel that way about pizza, Guinness and French fries. i need to limit my intake, however. Maybe one Guinness a week.
I'm pretty new to the 5:2 but I've had KFC one day and ate a whole frozen pizza on another! I know it's not ideal but we are only human and I think that the fasting days are where u do the work so you can just be normal the rest of the week and not think too much about what you should or shouldn't eat on your eating days.
Sains***** hot X buns, wholemeal, OMG!!!! Totally delicious. Sorry. As you were.
:0)
Think it's something to do with the mentality of I can so I will, if its any conciliation the novelty wears off.....except where chocolate concerned......after a few weeks, at least that's what I've found.
Try Heston's Earl Grey and mandarin ones in Waitrose. You only get two so no temptation to eat lots and they're delicious (expensive though but I think worth it).
The M&S ones are lovely - cranberry and orange, or my husband's favourite, the golden ones.

I find it's worth paying extra for somehting that tastes better - I'm less likely to eat it all in one go that way. Maybe my mind somehow thinks cheap=disposable rubbish.
OMG - I forgot I have some in the freezer and it is feast day today so will have one :heart: :heart: when I get home tonight. The reason I froze the buns was that I would have eaten the whole pack in one go. A little of what you fancy is allowed surely. :grin:
Im addicted to hot cross buns too! Second vote for the M&S ones. Went yesterday to get the chocolate ones, which are yummy, but the apple and cinnamon ones are amaaaaazing! Fast day today so I have to resist temptation!
I don't have that much experience with hot cross buns. They must be more popular in the UK than here. I must really be missing something.
Love the chocolate M&S ones! Fast day today :(
I feel the same way after I polish off my kids' leftovers. I don't like, want, OR need their leftovers. But I often eat them, anyway. Especially dangerous because my kids live off of chicken nuggets, peanut butter nutella sandwiches, and pizza. . . :-/
Oh gawd, I'm going to have to try the M&S ones now! Although I have some apple and cinnamon flour in the cupboard so I may have a cheeky go at making my own.
Husband has made some for me for Good Friday. Can't wait :grin:
16 posts Page 1 of 2