The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

14 posts Page 1 of 1
Fed up :(
27 Mar 2013, 09:13
Hi

I need some advice please ..

I tried so hard this week. My TDEE is 2096 . i stuck to around 2000 cals (sometimes a bit less) on every non fast day and 490-500 on Fast days ~(which equals a 20% defecit over the week)... I also did a Spinning Class, a 30 min cardio workout and a Kettlercise class ... and my reward for all that hard work ... a gain of 1.2lbs. I could cry!!!

I have around 5 stone to lose so cannot afford to go up!

I know for a fact its not muscle - muscle takes longer to form than a week.

Kettlercise was a killer and my muscles are still screaming 2 days later .... but i really cannot believe this is the cause of the 1.2lbs gain

Any words of wisdom?

L
x
Re: Fed up :(
27 Mar 2013, 09:16
How long have you been doing it for ? and loss overall?
27 Mar 2013, 09:21
For 8 weeks, and lost 5.2lbs over all! Not good!!
27 Mar 2013, 09:34
You have still lost and not gained overall I think you have done really well. What I have noticed with me is one week I lose and the next week nothing, Its a slow burner but I think once your body has got use to things it will continue to lose. I felt for me my body was getting use to the new way of eating and certainly i feel like its still adjusting. Do you drink plenty of water? I found drinking more water helped as i think it flushes things through a lot quicker? maybe? I still think you are doing well, keep it up it will pay off in the end!...
27 Mar 2013, 09:38
I haven't got a magic answer, but consider the following:
  • weight varies a lot day by day (not least because most scales are pretty useless) so the increase this week may not signify anything
  • water retention is a big short-term variable in weight loss, maybe more especially for ladies
  • since you are trying to match intake against TDEE it is worth checking your intake carefully - especially drinks (juices), fruit, bread
  • see Caroline's topic Why do the scales show an increase when I've been so good?
27 Mar 2013, 09:55
Thanks I'll read that post now :)

I write down everything I eat (even counting the small amount of calories in spinach etc) ... so I know that's not the problem.
27 Mar 2013, 09:57
Thanks that post has helped: Training
All exercise, including weight training and even cardio, causes some muscle damage. That translates to inflammation and water retention that happen in the course of repair. Training also increases retention of glycogen (stored sugar that fuels your muscles), and glycogen is two-thirds water by weight.

Any my mucles are definitely damaged lol ... phew :)
27 Mar 2013, 10:00
Ignore the fluctuations, look for a trend...needs time, patience and data!
27 Mar 2013, 11:43
Overall you've still lost weight, while eating normally most of the time - can't be a bad thing can it? When you have a lot to lose, natural fluctuations in your weight can sometimes mask the relatively small (around 1lb a week on average) loss, but over time you'll notice the downward trend :)
27 Mar 2013, 11:56
I feel your pain. I have lost for 6 weeks. I don't have much to go so I know it will get harder to lose the last few kilo's but it can get depressing.
On the positive side I am fitting into a bra I bought by mistake a couple of years ago. So my tip is just keep at it.
Scientifically - you MUST lose if you keep at it.
27 Mar 2013, 11:58
Have you started measuring yourself to see if there's any inches lost?

I'm starting to care less about my weight and more about inch loss!

Keep going... You're on the right track and remember the 1lb on average loss.. This is a long term plan

Good luck
27 Mar 2013, 12:53
ElleTee71 wrote: I also did a Spinning Class, a 30 min cardio workout and a Kettlercise class ... and my reward for all that hard work ... a gain of 1.2lbs.

Kettlercise was a killer and my muscles are still screaming 2 days later .... but i really cannot believe this is the cause of the 1.2lbs gain

Any words of wisdom?

L
x

Do you keep track of your measurements? Doing all that exercise, it's very possible that you are losing fat, but replacing it with muscle. Since muscle is denser, it takes up less room. So, while you may weigh the same, or even weigh more, you have less body mass, so your measurements will be smaller.
27 Mar 2013, 13:05
ElleTee71 wrote: Hi

L
x

You said it right there, muscles hang on to water in the repair process as soon as your muscles are done stitching themselves back up from the exercise, they will release the water. This process is normal and temporary. :smile:
27 Mar 2013, 13:57
Thank you all .. i feel much more positive. Just bought ingredients to make Butternut Squash enchiladas for tonight .. something I probably couldn't have when I was on WW :)

thanks!!
14 posts Page 1 of 1