The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

15 posts Page 1 of 1
In the early days of the forum, when it wasn't nearly as busy or populated as it is now, it was requested that members be notified by email automatically of replies to topics in which they had posted.

We've now grown so large that this has become a bit of a problem, causing queues and delays on the email server!

I have since had to change the default back to not notify, and have changed this setting for new members and also for anyone who hasn't been here for a couple of weeks.

Many of you may still be receiving these email notifications, and probably just deleting them!

It would be much appreciated if you could all have a look in your User Control Panel in the Manage Subscriptions section and unsubscribe from any topics you don't really want to be subscribed to. This should help clear out the mailserver and get things running smoothly again.

You are still of course welcome to subscribe to any topics as needed, or even to re-enable the 'notify on reply' option if you want. It's only a problem because almost everyone has been automatically subscribed & notified to so many topics.

Thanks for reading, and thanks for your help! :)
Done! Did not know this, so this mail is great, thanks.
Done, I wondered why my inbox was stuffed with 5:2 notifications! Less for me to delete now, thanks Moogie :-)
I've had the opposite problem - I've tried to subscribe to threads that I *want* to be notified, but the notifications never come. :( I suppose because I'm one of the noobies. :) I will try re-subscribing to the threads I want to watch. Thanks for the info!
Shanti wrote: I've had the opposite problem - I've tried to subscribe to threads that I *want* to be notified, but the notifications never come. :( I suppose because I'm one of the noobies. :)
No special treatment for n00bs. The notifications will come, eventually.

There is a 2-3 day delay in the notifications reaching you due to the load on the server. (29th here today & just receiving notifications for the 26th.)

If enough people unsubscribe to topics they have no interest in, then hopefully notifications will arrive in a timely manner for those us of who want them.
Will do Moogie. Thanks for all your hard work. Much appreciated.
Done!!!....didnt even know I was subscribed moogie sozzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!
keep telling you Im a numpty!!!!A lot less emails for me to delete each morning!!!
thanks for all your hard work...we all really appreciate you xxx
I have checked Moogie & I am unsubscribed I guess because I have been away for a couple of weeks. But good so many new people have joined? & thank you for all your hard work.
I keep getting notifications even no new messages have been added to those threads. Could be part of server burden is a faulty auto-notifier?
cloa513 wrote: I keep getting notifications even no new messages have been added to those threads. Could be part of server burden is a faulty auto-notifier?
Check the timestamps. You'll find the notifications are ~3 days old. So the messages were added to the thread, just 3 days ago.
Do as moogie suggests & clean out your subscriptions. Over the next few weeks hopefully the stress on the outgoing mail service will have settled to a dull roar & there will be little notification delay.
No, I get the same notification twice (or more)- if you can quote which email address to send to then I will forward back the double notification (separated by one day).
cloa513 wrote: No, I get the same notification twice (or more)- if you can quote which email address to send to then I will forward back the double notification (separated by one day).
If you keep visiting the thread, for every new post to a thread you will see a notification. Everything is working as it should - just the sheer volume of notifications is causing delays in delivery. I have checked the headers on the emails I've received. All ok apart for the delay.
I think I may have to remove everyone's subscriptions temporarily to allow the mail queue to clear. If I ask the server guys to delete the mail queue I suspect some registration confirmation emails may also be lost >.<;;
Are there any users left with auto notification turned on? Can they have their auto notification turned off first? If you need help wrangling a mail queue, please let me know. Selective mail queue trimming might be the way to go, save the reg. emails, ditch the old notifications.

Feel free to PM/email if you need help.
Thanks badalya, unfortunately I don't have access to the mail queue. There are still some users left with auto notify turned on, I may resort to turning it off but have a couple of other things to try first of all :) Will certainly shout if I get stuck!
15 posts Page 1 of 1