The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

3 posts Page 1 of 1
I am a serial dieter...have dieted all my adult life!!!
Suffereing from PCOS, heart condition,arthritis numberous other 'ailments' and now recovering from a knee op (still on crutches) my life has been plagued with health related problems and weight!!!
There have been times when I feel that if I was a horse someone would shoot me and at least I might be useful as glue!!(or in todays climate at least a lasagne!)
Im an excellent cook...love food and cooking, love entertaining,was a Home Economics teacher for 25 years, a food demonstrator for various companies, have worked on local television food programs and cooked with many of the famous television chefs.
The one thing that I can and do excel at ...is also my problem...FOOD!
I have over the years tried and failed at most diets...
go back to the 70's and work forward...Ive done them all more than once as they basically keep reinventing themselves under new names...Cabbage soup diet, Grapefruit diet, the first liquid diet I did was the Cambridge...fast forward to Rosemary Connoly, Atkins, WW, SW,Slimfast...been there done it and FAILED!
OK...coincidence?
I keep a diary of my weight and this morning while looking through it I noticed that I had started my last very calorie resrictive diet last year at exactly the same weight as I had started 5:2 ..right down to 1/4lb
at the end of exactly the same number of weeks I had lost exactly the same amount of weight!
So what is different this time?
It was at this point on the last diet that I threw the hands in the air and failed again!!
My diary is peppered with really negative comments - Invited out to friends for dinner but cannt go Im on a diet!- ate a biscuit today Im such a failure! - hubby had a takeaway curry, I swear the smell of it in the house has but 2lbs on me!!!
The difference this time....there is not 1 negative comment on my 5:2 pages and I feel that I am only begining my journey to good health not as previously when I felt I just couldnt do it any more!
My goals are long term...I believe that I can do this as a WOL...Im optimistic ...I have binned the guilt and the negativity!!!!
Perhaps there actually will be a day when my creativity and love of food can live in harmony with my body and health...here's hoping!!!!
I hear you and I agree with you. I haven't binned the guilt yet (although I haven't failed in any of my 3 fasts) because I can't believe that I can eat what I want while I'm on a diet but the problem is that I can't believe that this is not a diet and yet I lose wait.
As soon as I sort out the above and lose some more weight, I'll probably bin the guilt and eat some scones, LOL!!!
Virginia think you've hit the nail on the head, this is a way of life not a quick fix diet. It is possible to enjoy a normal life & lose weight, after all the diets I've put myself through over the years it takes some getting used to though!
Will keep an eye out for some creative recipes from you on the fasting food thread.......please!
3 posts Page 1 of 1