The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

13 posts Page 1 of 1
My Fitness Pal
31 Mar 2013, 10:32
Morning all, I'm in need of help! I've entered all of my information onto MFP but then thought surely my daily calorie allowance needs to be amended to reflect my fasting days? My TDEE is 1858 but if this is recorded for my fast days too I'll have a huge 'credit' on these days. Should I average my total weekly allowance and use that for my daily allowance? What have you guys done to rectify this or do you just leave it? Tia, Jo :confused:
Re: My Fitness Pal
31 Mar 2013, 10:38
I just totally ignore their calculations and use MFP solely for keeping a check on my calorie consumption as specified on the 5:2 plan. On my non fast days it looks like I've overeaten, and on my fast days it looks like I haven't eaten enough.
31 Mar 2013, 10:40
Hi Jo, I only joined last week, but I just left the amounts on MFP. A the end of my fast day it told me that I was seriously under the amount of calories needed, but then carried on as normal the following day. Just ignore it, I reckon!
A word of earning about the exercise totals... I think that some people have been using the amounts credited for doing light exercise to increase the amount of food eaten, possibly by too much. A the moment I like entering what I've done, but I don't take the figures given for calories credited very seriously.
Mind you, I am a newbie to all this!
Good luck!
31 Mar 2013, 10:45
Morning Joneil16, I too use MFP. Restrict myself to 1800 cals on a feed day with 500 on a fast. Do not use any averages, just keep to the 1800 cals for 5 days & input my 500 cals on fasts. Your calculations/weekly graph on MFP will register hardly anything on fast days but we are only using MFP as a calorie counting guide so its not an issue. You know that u need to eat 1858 on feed days so you have already done your weight loss calcs-the MFP is just so we know what limits to be within isn't it? Have it wittered enough????? Hope it makes sense, I feel like I've "gone around the houses" more than once so sorry if I bored you :wink:
31 Mar 2013, 10:49
And yes Golarne, I do a lot of exercise daily and enter it on MFP but as we have all calculated our TDEE with the estimated exercise built in, I never "eat my exercise" calories, it's purely for my own interest. You may be a newbie but you caught onto that a lot quicker than I did-came over from the MFP diet where you are allowed to eat your exercise so took me a little longer to cotton on!!
31 Mar 2013, 10:52
Thank you all, I knew I was over complicating it!
This is my first week on 5:2 and, after having done SW for 2 years, I think I'm expecting the plan to be more complex than it is. I can't believe how much better I feel in myself after just 2 fast days, hope this continues. Thanks again :)
31 Mar 2013, 10:56
I use MFP to record and remember meals and recipes, too. Quicker than inputting everything individually. And yes, I don't tally it up at the end of the day either.
31 Mar 2013, 10:57
No worries Jo, my sister is coming over to this WOE and she too has come from SW-found it hugely difficult to understand at first as was expecting it to be really complicated! I completely agree with how much better we feel on fast days-my main struggle has been feeling less guilty on feed days as so used to calorie restricting. Am slowly accepting I can eat more on feed days :grin:
31 Mar 2013, 11:11
:angel: I could get quite evangelical about it!!
31 Mar 2013, 11:12
Me too!!! Where's that soapbox????
31 Mar 2013, 11:13
I transferred to this WOE from SW at first was still eating SW way on my fast days purely from habit, have now upped my calorie intake & weight loss seems to be a steady 1lb a week which I'm very happy with.
I use my fat secret to record meals etc, it doesn't shout at you on fast days that you haven't eaten enough!!
Good luck & enjoy. :grin:
18 May 2013, 06:14
Has anybody found an app alternative to MyFitnessPal that just lets you input your daily cals and also looks up a database from some authoritative source, e.g. government health department?
18 May 2013, 07:08
Hfinger

having now used MFP I agree with pennyforthem it is a tool and I think you have to do the leg work to establish what is going in. The MFP scanner is brilliant and since I have been using it I have stopped referring to the calorie counter in mimi & Michael's book. "The fast diet"

I know a lot of forum members don't want to count calories, but if you never have it is good to get a sense of where the little or not blighters are in foods and the fast diet book has an excellent calorie counter section. I also used to refer to the 5:2 Diet Book for meal ideas. But the forum has replaced that and google. If you find a better ap please share though. All the best
13 posts Page 1 of 1