The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

14 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi All,

Can't think of anything else to do to take my mind off it, this is my 3rd fast day, and the first one where I've experienced real hunger pangs.

I'm at work and trying to concentrate, I'm sipping water and I've even been for a mile walk, but my stomach is still stronger than my mind!

Any ideas? I have fasted nearly 24 hours now, so I will eat in about 2 hours time anyway.

Tony
  • tea, coffee, herbal tea, more water(!)
  • more controversially what about some diet gum or diet coke?
  • Some intense exercise but admittedly at work that probably isn't possible
  • or go for that plank :wink:
Listening to people talking about their kids d&v adventures from the night before sorts my appetite out (2 birds talking in a cafe earlier- wouldn't mind, but I was supping a hot chocolate!)

Hope that helps! :0)
maybe spread your calories a little bit? I usually save 100 calories for a handful of nuts in the afternoon. The fats and salt make me feel satisfied and the afternoon goes by much easier. Some people do broth, nuts are just easier for me to stash in my desk drawer. I'm still working on finding the right way to spend my 500 calories and I'm on the 4th week. ;-)
Hang in there!! You're almost there.
Thanks everyone - I made it! Just had homemade veg stew followed by a fruit salad and yoghurt.

Think I will take something with me to work next fast day in case of similar emergency hunger.
Yes, do take something with you. If you can;t concentrate you can't work properly, not to mention that sometimes if our stomach demands food, it has its reasons!!!!
Good plan! For what it's worth, I find the little lunch salad things from m&s a must when I'm really stuck, lucky I have a store just down the road though- the endame soy beany one is my fave, really good textures :0)
Think the nearly 24 hours fast is the issue. It's only meant to be a 12 hour fast between breakfast & evening meal. You are allowed 500 cals. I normally can't fit in a 12 hour fast, yesterday it was 9 hrs but often less than this although longer fast hours over night.
Well done on making it! You didn't die or faint. However hateful being hungry is when you can't eat, it's a good lesson for the system that we can make it through hunger sometimes. Dr Mosley talked about 'waves' of hunger and that with a bit of practice we can ride them out.
I don't think that there is a 24 hours fast that is the "issue". As long as we succeed eating 500/600 calories in 36 hours we're OK. It's upto us how we split them (or not) within the day.
I have a supply of salted mixed nuts in my desk too. I'm not usually one for snacking but I sometimes have a suck on a cashew, it lasts longer when you don't chew. My willpower is my screen saver just when I reach for another its pops up with the words 'HOLS IN 5 WEEKS'. :wink:
Agreed don't fight it, have a cracker or something. It doesn't take allot to take away the hunger.
I keep a can of Tuna in water in my desk drawer for emergencies. Often I just have to think about how bad it will taste & that cures the hunger pangs!
14 posts Page 1 of 1