The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

16 posts Page 1 of 2
Best calorie content info
17 Apr 2013, 09:59
Forgive me if this has been asked before, but can't find what I'm looking for.
Where can I get the best calorie info? I just want a simple website that breaks down the basic foods into their calorific content and not linked to a personal plan etc.
Bought foods are great as they're all labelled but I need to know fruit/veg etc calorie content.

BTW just embarked on Day 2----- wish me luck!! :wink:
Re: Best calorie content info
17 Apr 2013, 10:05
I like this site for nutritional info including calories:

http://nutritiondata.self.com/

Just put a food name in the search window and it will return of list of items related. Click on the item and it gives details.
17 Apr 2013, 10:15
I use the old fashioned method of looking things up in a calorie counting book! I tried lots of websites, but as you have found, they are often linked to diet plans or food diary schemes. When designing meals for fast days, I want to add up all the ingredients for myself by weight or portion and I have found a book and an excel spreadsheet to record and add up the items (and save the recipes) the easiest way of doing it. The book I use is a Pocket Calorie Counter by Carolyn Humphries (£3.74 on Amazon)but I guess there are lots of similar ones out there.
17 Apr 2013, 10:28
http://www.myfitnesspal.com

there is a section where you can put in all the ingredients of a recipe and how many servings and it will tell you the calorie count. I love it.
17 Apr 2013, 10:29
17 Apr 2013, 11:49
I use myfitnesspal too - I think it's really good for recipes and it's great for pre-packaged as on the phone app you can scan the item and it finds it.

Good luck with whatever you decide to use :-)
17 Apr 2013, 12:05
Dollydipstick wrote: I use myfitnesspal too - I think it's really good for recipes and it's great for pre-packaged as on the phone app you can scan the item and it finds it.Good luck with whatever you decide to use :-)

It does?!? :shock: I've got to learn how to use my phone! :shame: :oops:
17 Apr 2013, 12:10
Betsysgr8 wrote:
Dollydipstick wrote: I use myfitnesspal too - I think it's really good for recipes and it's great for pre-packaged as on the phone app you can scan the item and it finds it.Good luck with whatever you decide to use :-)

It does?!? :shock: I've got to learn how to use my phone! :shame: :oops:

Yep it's fantastic!! The only niggle is that when using the search function there are so many versions of the same thing that people have added, so some things need to be checked.

It is such a good App though, and can be used on phone/ipod/ipad and online through PC.
17 Apr 2013, 14:56
As Cags said, it's fantastic, but you do need to find the one that says the same as the packaging, but for me it saves loads of time. Plus if I know I might be taking something out of the packet - say a couple of slices of ham, I scan it then divide it.

:-)
17 Apr 2013, 15:29
Yes with myfitnesspal you can put in any amount from 7/8 of a packet to several helpings! Not that I'm recommending several helpings of course! Comes in very handy for working out how many calories are in the recipes you usually cook from scratch, eg 1/4 a shepherds pie.

Try it, it's really easy to use, even if you're not an iPhone know all ;-)
17 Apr 2013, 17:45
Thanks all :like: Will investigate all suggestions and maybe buy a pocket sized book as well. Day 2 has been a dawdle and included a visit to the gym which went very well despite having no breakfast except black coffee. Onwards and upwards :grin:
27 Apr 2013, 16:11
I'm a bit old school with looking stuff up and I've found some website fiddly and/or inaccurate. The best book I've found is the calorie carb & fat bible 2013. A bit pricey but worth it.
28 Apr 2013, 00:02
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/ is fantastic as an "aid" to 5-2. Throw out the note books and do it all online. Tracks the past too so you can watch things. I found looking up stuff when the fine print on pack are so small is just so hard. And for an Aussie you have instant metric conversion.

For me its, rounded 2,000 kJ rather than 500calories. Strangely i kind of prefer working in calories.
28 Apr 2013, 00:53
I love nutritiondata.com
I love this site I use it for all sorts of food data, have used it for years.
16 posts Page 1 of 2