The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

3 posts Page 1 of 1
Donating Blood
19 Apr 2013, 12:56
I decided this week (Monday) that it would be a great idea to donate blood and that it wouldn’t matter that the only time available was when I was scheduled to be doing a fasting day. This has turned out to be not the most intelligent thing I have ever done as I have been left feeling shattered all week. My gym sessions have been poor and although I have felt well I have had zero energy available.

I just wondered if there had been any research done into the perils of giving blood whilst fasting. It may of course all be coincidental but, as I have felt fine otherwise, I can find no reason not to directly link the two things.

Has anyone else experienced the same or is it just me?

Whatever the outcome it is something that I will plan a little bit better in the future.
Re: Donating Blood
19 Apr 2013, 13:06
Sorry for your bad experience Simon. I am not sure about research but it has been discussed here before and the view was definitely that you should not give blood on a fasting day. But I guess you know that now :wink:
Re: Donating Blood
19 Apr 2013, 13:48
I am a regular blood donor and for a start, I have to question whether you fibbed to the staff when you gave blood, because the have ALWAYS asked me whether I have eaten well on the day, OR did you admit to fasting and they went ahead anyway :?: I'd be concerned if they did because for sure, as you now know, it isn't a clever thing to do.

To turn it on its head, my MIL has major health problems and has had several blood transfusions. She always says that she feels supremely energetic, tip top and raring to go, immediately after the transfusion and for some days afterwards. Stands to reason that you would experience the reverse.

Thanks for the reminder though; I'll make sure that I plan my week so that when I give blood it is at least two days after fasting. I have a regular appointment so its easy to plan around.
3 posts Page 1 of 1