The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

7 posts Page 1 of 1
First bbq of the year
20 Apr 2013, 19:24
We usually start our bbqs in March, but bad weather forced us to wait... BUT, we celebrated tonight!

So, why this post?

Firstly, the amount we both ate during the day was far, far less than we'd have consumed last year.
Secondly, though it wasn't a fast day, neither of us wanted sides of carbs, which we'd have had in the past; potato salad, garlic bread etc.
Thirdly, instead of overloading on marinades and meats, we chose wisely.
We really, really enjoyed it.
A simple salad with some steak, sticky ribs (which were made with my own recipe, so I knew what was in them) and sausage for hub.

What will you do differently this year for a bbq?
Re: First bbq of the year
21 Apr 2013, 07:01
I always think BBQs can be quite a healthy way of eating. I make my own burgers and we'll usually have a range of salads (usually a tomato salad, home made celeriac remoulade or coleslaw, and potato salad). Sometimes we'll bbq mackerel. We never use fats or oil on the meat. Ahh I love a barbecue. My husband's motto is "Chapmans barbecue whatever the weather" but even our barbecue hasn't seen an outing yet this year.
21 Apr 2013, 07:31
I'm not sure I'd do much differently: I like to grill prawns and fish, and I always make up vegetable packets, with eggplant, red onion, mushroom, cherry tomatoes, garlic and basil and a bit of olive oil, wrapped in foil. I've not had a BBQ in ages. And I don't have the weather as an excuse...
21 Apr 2013, 07:33
MaryAnn, I LOVE the veggie packets idea, I'm definitely going to nab that idea for when we barbecue.
21 Apr 2013, 08:15
imcountingufoz wrote: MaryAnn, I LOVE the veggie packets idea, I'm definitely going to nab that idea for when we barbecue.

Me too! Thanks!
21 Apr 2013, 08:49
Ooh quite jealous. Haven't got our barbie out yet but we'd happily use it every day if possible. We tend to just keep it simple, some good quality steaks and a nice salad. When we have friends round we tend to make our own burgers and kebabs and I usually do a tabbouleh which goes down quite well. Happy days!
18 Jul 2013, 09:46
I'm doing a BBQ on the beach tonight but it's a fast day. Pleased to find this thread for inspiration. I'll be sure to report back on what we've had.
7 posts Page 1 of 1