The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

20 posts Page 2 of 2
Re: Help! High Cholesterol
24 Apr 2013, 21:18
Thanks Caroline, will give that link a go. Thanks and good luck to everyone else :clover: :grin:
24 Apr 2013, 21:37
Ballerina wrote:
The Victorians were quite right when they said that you are what you eat (they did say that, didn't they?) and moderation in all things.

Ballerina x

The latter is from the Greeks actually:

Greek poet Hesiod (c.700 bc), ‘observe due measure; moderation is best in all things’

:-)
24 Apr 2013, 21:38
Statins are dangerous. This documentary ("Statin Nation") is well worth watching:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZctVYxiW2w
24 Apr 2013, 21:41
I'm reading Pure White and Deadly at the minute - someone on here recommended it and it's fascinating. The author is suggesting cholesterol and heart disease are widely misunderstood and not related. He suggests it's a classic failure to discern causality properly. I've no idea if this is true, but the book is definitely making me more worried about sugar than fat and cholesterol.
20 May 2013, 11:45
My cholesterol was 7 a few years ago despite a lifetime of avoiding saturated fat. I started taking plant sterols and also increased my soy protein intake. After 6 months it was down to 4.9 and it has stayed there. My HLD/LDL ratio was always good probably thanks to exercise. I've been on 5:2 for many months but it made no difference to cholesterol.
20 posts Page 2 of 2