The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

8 posts Page 1 of 1
low haemoglobin/iron
24 Apr 2013, 04:00
Hi guys,

I'm on my 2nd week of IF and had an interesting occurance today. I went to donate blood (I have been doing so regularly over the last 10 years or so) but was unable to proceed with the donation because during the initial screaning where they do a 'prick test' my haemoglobin level was too low.

I've never had this happen before and the nurse did as me if I'd had any changes in my diet recently.

I'm not too concerned as the levels weren't worryingly low- still within what is generally considered 'healthy' but just too low to donate. I have another appointment in just over a week, so I will be a bit more conscious of eating iron rich foods and see how I go, as I guess I have eaten less meat during these 2 weeks, favouring more vegetable soups etc especially on fasting days.

Anyway, I thought it was interesting and just wondered whether anyone has experienced low haemoglobin/ iron levels?
Re: low haemoglobin/iron
24 Apr 2013, 04:25
Hi beclouise
I am a regular blood donor too, and I sometimes get a low iron reading, unrelated to fasting. After one of these I saw my Doctor and my levels were fine for everyday purposes, but less than the Blood Donor people will accept. In order not to have a wasted trip I now take an iron supplement for a week before a donor session.
I have considered that the amount of tea I drink may have an effect on my haemoglobin level. I'd be surprised if 2 weeks of 5:2 was the reason, but others may know more.
24 Apr 2013, 04:59
Thanks Sian! I didn't realise that tea could also have an effect? I have started drinking a lot more tea lately!
24 Apr 2013, 06:11
I think tea and coffee stops iron being absorbed you need vit C to help ,so if you take supplement drink orange juice after
24 Apr 2013, 06:13
I am also a blood donor and have been refused on and off over the years because of low haemoglobin. Just before I went through the menopause I had completely exhausted my iron so had to have a year off and take iron tablets. Now I'm through the menopause my iron levels have shot up. I was taking an iron supplement but stopped because too much iron can be bad for you as well. If you take a supplement don't take it with tea or coffee as that interferes with its absorption, also vitamin C improves absorption. I wouldn't have thought that only 2 weeks of IF would be enough to lower your iron levels by that much but that is just my opinion. I see Carol has said the same as me. :grin:
24 Apr 2013, 08:10
I'm anaemic (low haemoglobin) but it's not due to low iron levels - my red blood cells are too small ie microcytic anaemia. If I was a woman my level would be ok at ~116 because you're allowed to be anaemic all the time ;-)

So if you have a low haemoglobin go to the GP and get your blood looked at to determine why it's low, anaemia comes in several flavours and each of them can have multiple causes. It may be due to GI bleeding, gluten sensitivity and worse as well as simple iron deficiency.
24 Apr 2013, 09:16
I gave blood 4 weeks into 5:2 and I was fine-but I didn't fast for 2 days before, mainly so as not to risk fainting. My blood has always been ok though.
24 Apr 2013, 09:59
I suffer from low iron most of the time. Have had to have an infusion a couple of years ago. I am advised not to give blood. The cause of the low iron has been identified and I keep it in check now mostly. Interestingly I did have a blood test the first week I fasted in January - GP never called me so I assuming the reading was good. I thought I would go for another test at the 6 month make and make a comparison.
8 posts Page 1 of 1