The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

15 posts Page 1 of 1
Help needed for fasting day
25 Apr 2013, 20:43
I need a bit of help with the fasting day calorie intake..I've read a lot but can't seem to be sure what I am meant to be doing..so please bear with a newbie to this plan.
If I fast from 7pm to 7am the next day..can I then choose to eat between 7am and 7pm by 'grazing' my 500 calories (as long as I stick to 500C) or do I need to eat at 7am and 7pm with the fasting gap again in between..
I've only done one fast and would like to clear this up before the next one which I plan to do Monday..
Many thanks
Wendy in Oz
:confused:
Re: Help needed for fasting day
25 Apr 2013, 20:48
The easiest way I find to look at it is I went to bed last night after a normal eating day, I then got up this morning and had 500 cals spilt between my lunch and dinner (no breakfast but this is up to you) I will then go to bed shortly and wake up tomorrow and eat normally again.
25 Apr 2013, 20:50
Yep, what Claire said, I feel like you are over thinking this. On your non-fasting day you eat normally, then you go to bed. When you wake up on your fasting day until you go to bed on your fasting day you eat 500C. You can spread them out or eat them all in one meal, what ever is easiest on you.
25 Apr 2013, 20:52
I agree with Claire. I do not think it matters when you eat your calories so long as you stick to 500 - at least for weight loss. Whether a longer fast will help blood chemistry I don't think is really known and awaits a well controlled study.

Cheers to you in Australia. I am an Australian living in Athens Georgia USA.

Allan.
25 Apr 2013, 20:54
I love that everyone is everywhere on this forum!!!
25 Apr 2013, 21:22
Feeling crap, intended to do a fast but had to cave in due to tempting sandwiches and a stressful day at work. Does anybody else change from fast to feeding half way through the day? Feeling a bit of a failure :-(
25 Apr 2013, 22:00
I purposely start all 4 of my work days as if they are fast days. That way if something comes up I know I can make it work out. I work T-W-Th-F and I can decide when I get home how it will go. Relieves a lot of stress. And my non-fasting days tend to be very low cal which gives me more calories cor fun things on the weekends and no guilt.

It isnt failure as much as a learning opportunity.
26 Apr 2013, 05:44
Claire if youhave started fasting you are half way there. Depending on what you eat and when, you have most likely done a mini fast. You'll still get some of the benefits. If you think of it as a mini fast it's a success- lose the guilt!
26 Apr 2013, 06:31
Thank you for your replies..
Claire..Chris..Allen in Georgia big wave to you ..janeg

I don't think I am overthinking so much as I like clear guidelines as to what constitutes a fast..
I read 12hrs ..I read three blocks of 12hr over 36hr.. and I'm trying to get my head around it..
Seems like anything goes..?..do it to suit..?..

Wendy in Oz..
26 Apr 2013, 06:37
Indeed Wendy, is whatever suits you - the diet has to fit around your life and be sustainable for you. You can split your cals how you like and in terms of loss this should make no difference. A lot of user like to have all our cals as a single meal, giving us 24 hours on zero cals before the meal.
26 Apr 2013, 06:45
Yes, it's whatever suits. I split my fast day calories between three meals over the course of the day and that really works for me. I also fast mon, tues and thursday and am into that routine now. Back to back fasts on mon and tues work fine and with my 3rd one out of the way on Thursday I have the whole weekend free.
26 Apr 2013, 07:07
Sorry
It's still clear as mud ...
It must be me................. :confused:
26 Apr 2013, 07:26
OK, try this:

1.You eat your dinner on a feed day then go to bed.

2.You wake up in the morning and proceed to eat 500 cals over the course of the day (eating as many times as you like)

3.You go to bed.

4.You wake up the next morning and eat as normal as it's a feed day.

Any clearer? If not what bit don't you understand?
26 Apr 2013, 16:05
ok .. got it..lol
I'm a weigher/measurer/counter..
I just needed to know the fast time..
I know that when I have a blood test it's 12 hours so I'll do that..
The rest is clear..
Thanks again..
Wendy in Oz
26 Apr 2013, 16:40
So far I haven't turned my fast day into a non-fast day. I thought of it twice but then all the up-to-then hunger would go to waste and I would have to do it again tomorrow. The thought of my being so good going to the rubbish makes me stick to fasting!!!
15 posts Page 1 of 1