The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

6 posts Page 1 of 1
Doing it for myself
27 Apr 2013, 23:41
Hi all :)

Well first off I want to just say how happy I am with this new WoE. I am really excited that I have lost 2 pounds in my first week. It might not seem a lot to others but to me it is just great.

I just want to ask for help though, if ok, with doing this for me. I'm not a solitary person, I can be quite needy and obsessive if I'm honest! Oh dear!! Not a great start to a post is it?

I know deeply that I need to eat and exercise, as with everything in life, for myself... but I find it difficult. I find myself absolutely loving exercise but only being motivated enough when my I go with my boyfriend. Same happens with food - if we're having a bad-relationship-day I feel discouraged.

The big thing is that I want to look good for him... Hmm..??

I think things might be a bit more smooth-flowing for me were I to finally find the right reasons I need to do what I so want to do and to continue with this WoE.

xx
Re: Doing it for myself
27 Apr 2013, 23:49
Step in the right direction, this WoE promotes taking charge of ones ownself. Every fast day is a test and triumph of taking charge in the face of adversity (hunger). You can do this for yourself for 2 days out of the week, why not everyday?

Congrats on your 2 lb loss and taking charge! :victory:

You can do this and we are all here to offer encouragement and advice and even the occasional proverbial shoulder.

Good luck on your journey! :)
28 Apr 2013, 12:39
Well done on the 2lbs.

Bear in mind that if your relationship is such an important part of your life, then it's not surprising that if it's having a bad-day, then you're having a bad day too. It's human nature and if your response to a bad day is to comfort eat, then being aware of it is useful to try to off-set it.

It's always more fun exercising with someone else. How many other people do you know that you could exercise with? If the answer is no-one, then take a look at some of the group fitness classes that are around - in gyms, leisure centres or nearby halls. You'll get that supportive environment and have a commitment to go which is always a good thing.

Are you really doing this WOE just to look good for your boyfriend? Surely some of that is your personal pride in how you look too... as well as being aware that he'll appreciate it too.

Perhaps make a list of some of the reasons that you're trying this WOE and split the list into things that will make you happy, things that will make him happy and things that will make you both happy. You might be surprised to find more things in your/both column than you expect.
28 Apr 2013, 17:24
Thanks both of you for the encouragement and you have some good points.

I will make a list of the things you suggested, applespider, and also have a look at local groups and classes. I am quite a shy person and the thought of joining something with other people is a little terrifying for me but I will see anyway and see if I can push myself out of my comfort zone somewhat. :)

Thanks again.

xx
28 Apr 2013, 17:37
Well done on your 2 pounds and it is a lot, have you ever held 2 pounds in weight?!!! I think a normal size bag of sugar is one pound!

I am a very needy person too so I do know what you mean, I feel like losing weight will be better for my husband and I even think things like he wont be embarrassed about me anymore.....

We must think about all the health benefits that come with weight loss, I don't know how much you have to lose though. This is purely for yourself.
28 Apr 2013, 18:25
Serendipity wrote: I am quite a shy person and the thought of joining something with other people is a little terrifying for me but I will see anyway and see if I can push myself out of my comfort zone somewhat.

Good stuff. The great thing about exercise classes is that, at first, you can be pretty much anonymous in them. You're still in a group doing the activity which helps egg you on and make it more fun rather than alone on a treadmill - and, as I said, the commitment to booking or going along at a certain time, makes you go. But, you tend not to have to introduce yourself to everyone or chat away.

As you go more often, you start smiling and nodding at people and then chatting. Sometimes you'll make friends to have a coffee afterwards, often it will be just someone to chat to a little at the start/end. I have some gym buddies that I have phone numbers for and others that I chat to but don't actually know their name! Good luck!
6 posts Page 1 of 1