The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

11 posts Page 1 of 1
5-2 WOL and a brand new car!
01 May 2013, 12:26
I did some sums the other day and have calculated that with 2 adults in the household committed to severe calorie restriction on 2 days and a week with the 5-2 program plus some healthier eating on other days that I will see a signifcant reduction in my weekly food bill. Calorific foods are expensive particularly if they are the packaged, off the shelf variety.

I calculate that this WOF will save at least 15% off my total food bill

So anyone going on this program .....

WINS A CAR!

15% is a rough guess and for those normally buying a lot of chocolates, crisps, takeouts, icecream, frozen meals etc then easily 2 adults on the program means about, in Australia about $60 a week saved in the household ($30 a person each and every week or 40 pounds a week. Even just not needing to buy the ingredients for "normal meals" 3 times a day for 2 days saves a lot of dollars.

Now in Australia $60 a week that can finance a small brand new car based on say 12% on a 5 year loan.

Initially we probably have to look for some foods that may not be in your pantry. e.g. last weekend i foraged for Shiratake noodles, miso soup, mushrooms and a few things i dont normally buy but that will ease over time.

So whilst we all get trim, healthier, and live longer, we can also drive around in a shiny new car.
Haha, I love it! Well calculated - and what an incentive! :)
Nice! I'm a cheapskate and the money savings with fasting are definitely appealing. I splurged on some organic miso paste for my fast days, but other than that it's been savings.
Absolutely Brilliant! Well done, Juliana :)
I was thinking maybe new clothes! :lol: My favorite clothing store is having a sale (Christopher and Banks). I may have to stop by there this weekend or next.
I discovered the same, when I worked out what I used to spend on wine each month. Talk about shocked and slightly embarrassed to admit it :oops:
My favourite tipple is a Mcmanis Merlot, which costs £10.99 a bottle, (oh how I miss living in Oz and all those gorgeous wines for half the price!), so previously I was getting through about 18-20 bottles a month, which equals £197 - £220. My loan for my newish car is exactly £220 a month, so all I need to do now is make sure I don't spend both!! :smile:
And let's not forget the money we save by not buying all those nonsensical diet products. I was at the chemist the other day and stumbled against the shelf with 'slimming products', I was astonished, not to say baffled at what they all cost. In the Netherlands anything from Eur 15 and more. It's been said before, but I think all this money saved is worth spending on healthier food choices. At least in part.
Glad that people agree that on this new eating regime, you can afford a new car are or a

ANNUAL HOLIDAY
NICE CLOTHES
MUSIC CONCERTS REGULARLY

Whatever for like for approximatetely $3000 a year (1900 pounds) for a 2 person household and thats being realy conservative.

The savings i worked out for me include not buying or buying less of..

- icecream (and I liked the expensive varieties)
- crisps
- packets of biscuits
- cakes
- savoury pies and sausage rolls from local bakery
- soft drink
- calorific packaged juices
- the meat you need for 2 days, now fast days
- fried fish and chips
- Frozen desserts
- Macdonalds, KFC and other nasty takeout
- salted and smoked nuts
- mayonnaise
- canned fruits
- Packaged frozen foods we swap for less expensive home made meals
- chocolate and candy
- alcohol

some others mentioned
- slimming products
- vitamin supplements as you are probably eating healthier anyway

add them all up and you might just save $50 a week per person!

This isnt really a negative but i guess we all will need a brand new wardrobe by the end of 12 months if not earlier.. cause nothing we wear today will fit by then! yippeeee !

Enjoy the win!
What an awesome way to stay motivated!
:like: :like: :like: :like: :like: :like: :like: :like:
Haha i was looking at my first set of threads i created and this one made me laugh.

its nearly a year and i havent got a new car but theoretically ive saved heaps. just on wine and alcohol alone i have.. used to buy say 4 bottles of red and about 2 bottles of beer or cider (beer for OH) and we are down to just a bottle of red a week and no beer or cider.

as for not much icecream or other goodies in my standard grocery run its hundreds ive saved
11 posts Page 1 of 1