The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

6 posts Page 1 of 1
I generally have 100g smoked Salmon for my dinner on my fast days, and have also been eating smoked Chicken on my feed days.

Since Monday, I have gained 1.5 kg, & I'm hoping its just water, as on Monday my rings were feeling loose, & now my fingers look like sausages about to burst their casings. Its not PMS this time.

I'm hoping its whats causing it???
Without looking it up I'm pretty sure they are.
My OH had a major cutback on salt due to high BP last year so we became aware of the salt content of foods. I must say your reaction sounds rather extreme. Maybe try a few low salt days and see if it improves
Smoked salmon is very high in sodium but if it is something that you are used to eat then perhaps that is not the cause of your water retention.
Still, swollen fingers lead to 3 possibilities:
1.Water retention
2.Allergy
3.Inflammation due to arthritis or other rheumatoid situation

IMO, start with a low salt diet for a few days, drink lots of water and drink a diuretic tea. If it doesn't go away, start thinking if you've changed something in your everyday life lately (such as detergent, perfume, shampoo etc).
Generally speaking salt is used in the cure for fish, I'm a keen angler and I often bring home a couple of trout to smoke.

Method is ...
Firstly fillet the fish, skin left on, place skin side down, sprinkle flesh with salt and leave for an hour. After the hour, wipe the salt from the flesh and put in the fillets in a (hot) smoker for 6 to 8 mins.

So yes there is salt used in the process, but most of it is wiped off, it mainly just draws the water from the fillets, but not all is removed. I've never used salt when smoking anything other than fish, chicken/duck/ham etc, hope this helps.
I don't know much about smoked meat, but I have the same question as others: is that a typical reaction for you? I retain water easily if I eat much salt, so I can see smoked fish causing a similar reaction in me. Is the same true of you?

Also, is this commercially smoked meat? Or something you've made yourself?
Thanks for the replies everyone. I fasted yesterday & avoided any smoked/salty food & would you believe I lost the 1.5kg again! My fingers are still a bit puffy, but not as bad.

The products I eat are commercially "smoked", so who knows what sort of chemicals they are using. I doubt theres much traditional smoking involved at all.
6 posts Page 1 of 1