The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

11 posts Page 1 of 1
Miso soup?
02 May 2013, 07:58
Hi everyone I was reading where miso soup only has 18 calories where do I buy this soup from please. Is it instant soup?
Re: Miso soup?
02 May 2013, 08:07
Hello
Where do you live? If you are in the UK I got mine in Sainsburys!

It is a paste rather than a powdered instant soup, but you add hot water to it before using so yes it is an instant soup. I think you can get miso paste in jars as well but mine was a box of small sachets.
02 May 2013, 10:37
I buy kilo packs of dark red miso paste - a handful of ingredients (soybeans, rice, salt, ethyl alcohol) - watch for brands that include lots of additives - 621 & their ilk.

Looks something like this:
http://www.seoulorientalmarket.com/wp-c ... 24x768.jpg

Keeps for ages in the fridge.

I buy miso at a local asian (japanese, south east asian, korean, chinese, everything else asian) grocer. It comes from Japan.

The paste is near enough instant. Boil water, pour over a few tablespoons of miso paste & stir it till it disperses into the water. I add chopped mixed herbs (e.g. parsley, sorrel, basil) & bok choy/spinach/whatever is green & leafy from the garden.

Now it is turning colder here I have been having this as my fast day 'dinner'. Very tasty, warming & filling. Has that great umami flavour.

All you ever wanted to know about miso:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miso
02 May 2013, 11:09
Thanks everyone I live in Western Australia but I will look in my local Asian shop you guys have been so wonderful, by the way I was born in The U.K (0:
02 May 2013, 21:32
I am in the US and I get powdered miso soup mix from the Asian section of the grocery store. I think miso soup is the key to my successful fasting days and I have a cup in the morning to get me started. The packets I use are about 40 calories because they have added seaweed and tofu bits. They are quite satisfying for several hours. Good luck!
02 May 2013, 21:45
Technically miso soup should be made with a seaweed stock called dashi. It's a weak stock made with a particular seaweed, sold in dried form, with lots of MSG. Then you add the other bits: most importantly miso paste (red or white-actually a golden color), a different seaweed, scallions, and bits of tofu.

Obviously the instant packs are easier. The instant packs I get in Japan come with two packs: one with the paste one with dried seaweed and scallions. At 30 cals a bowl, it has been a life saver on fast days.
02 May 2013, 21:47
If you can find miso paste you might want to buy unpasteurized which is more likely to have probiotics. Also, add it to hot water but not boiling water. If the water is too hot it will kill the live cultures. Yummy stuff. I have a cup or 2 of just miso paste in hot water every fast day. The salt and umami flavor get me thru. It's about 15-20 calories.

Oh and if you are new to it, you might want to start out with blond/white miso. It's milder than the darker colors. :)
02 May 2013, 22:17
Kikkomans do various types of miso and they are all good (around 35 cals each)
02 May 2013, 22:23
Lena, I live in Victoria , Australia and I get my Miso instant soup in the local supermarket. Just add boiling water, stir, enjoy. It's surprisingly satisfying and only 17 calories for the one I buy !
02 May 2013, 22:26
Welcome Lena!
06 May 2013, 05:40
Thanks everyone I found Miso soup in the Asian section I bought Miso soup with fried tofu only 38 calories and Miso soup with spinach and mushroom 34calories at my local woolworths and Thankyou CarmelD
11 posts Page 1 of 1