The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

17 posts Page 1 of 2
A Challenge.
05 May 2013, 18:46
Tomorrow is my normal fasting day. We are having a BBQ. I am going to challenge myself to a fasting day BBQ.

Chicken skewers, vegetable kebabs and delicious salads, instead of the usual cheeseburgers, sausages and creamy potato salad.

I think I could just about stick to 500 cals with that. Have any of you lovely lot ever done a 5:2 barbecue? If I manage it, I'm going to blog about it :)
Re: A Challenge.
05 May 2013, 18:51
Sounds brilliant! Enjoy :)
05 May 2013, 19:22
Thanks Doodle! So far I am thinking grilled asparagus, pepper, tomato and mushroom kebabs, chicken in some kind of marinade, a lovely fresh green salad with spinach, and a tomato salad - seasoned with salt and pepper and a smidgen of olive oil.
05 May 2013, 19:59
imcountingufoz wrote: Thanks Doodle! So far I am thinking grilled asparagus, pepper, tomato and mushroom kebabs, chicken in some kind of marinade, a lovely fresh green salad with spinach, and a tomato salad - seasoned with salt and pepper and a smidgen of olive oil.

Can I come?

Delicious, I like it!
05 May 2013, 20:03
Sure, I'll keep some in foil for you, dohpeterchina :)
05 May 2013, 20:20
Oh yes - certainly sounds delicious :) Just reminded me, I have some asparagus in the kitchen!
05 May 2013, 20:48
Your menu sounds great, even for a non fast day! Yum.
05 May 2013, 20:55
I haven't ever done a 5 2 bbq and don't think if i'm honest I could manage one as im a real nibbler at bbq's and would go over my 500 without a doubt.So I take my hat of to you for having a go I 'm sure it will be a great success for you what your planning sounds great.
05 May 2013, 21:16
Thanks! It will be really hard because I am certain there will be nibbles. I am going to suggest we have cut up veggies instead of crisps, lower fat houmous, or tzatziki, it's the cheeseburgers I'll have problems with - I love a cheeseburger.
05 May 2013, 21:17
Also, barbecue = beer. Beer = empty calories.
06 May 2013, 00:05
Good luck with it! There is nothing better than barbequed mushies! Yum.
06 May 2013, 19:34
Well, I *think* I just about did it... or if I didn't, I would have only gone over by a little.

We had mini chicken breasts, marinated in balsamic vinegar, chicken stock and a bit of sugar, a huge green salad, a lovely tomato salad, grilled asparagus (Which, by the way, is AMAZEBALLS!) lamb and vegetable skewers. Plus, I made burgers, and my friend bought cous cous salad. I was absolutely stuffed after one bit of a chicken, a bite of my husband's burger and a huge plate of salad.

There we go, 5:2 barbecues can be done and are delicious!
06 May 2013, 21:52
Wow! Sounds great. I actually had something similar for dinner last night and boy, was it good!

And the single (or double :grin:) bite of your husband's cheeseburger was genius. I find that's really all I need sometimes, just a taste of something. It doesn't make me want to go crazy; I'm satisfied with a taste.

I love your recipes. Thanks for sharing them.
07 May 2013, 08:54
Half a pound of sirloin steak on the BBQ - less than 500 cals :-)

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/ ... =259077990
07 May 2013, 20:40
DONE! If you're interested in seeing how I got on, here is my blog post about it, complete with an EPIC marinade for chicken!

http://imcountingufoz.com/blog/52-barbecue-3043
17 posts Page 1 of 2