The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

6 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi - Today is my first day - it's challenging but hopefully it gets easier when you've done it a few times! I'm following one of the recommended food days in the book and made the porridge with 40g of dry porridge and water. Mimi said to re-weigh things once prepared which I did and the porridge once cooked weighed quite a bit more - I decided o eat it all as assume she meant 40g's ofthe dry oats - does that sound right? Thanks so much in advance!
I'm not sure what she meant. If you're unsure, google the calories in 40g dry oats or uncooked oats to find out for sure

Welcome to the forums!!
Hi I agree with Tracieknits. Just google the calories for dry weight as long as you are using water to cook it. If you are going to weigh the porridge after cooking, it will have the weight of the original 40g dry PLUS the weight of the water you added. If you use something like milk for the liquid, you'd have to weight and calculate the calories for that as well.
Good question. I would have thought dry or else you could end up with too much and it just wouldn't work to have any left over. I just checked a package of instant oatmeal and it was 28g dry per serving / 100 calories. Hmmm you have a very good question. Can you compare the calories on the package along with serving size? I'm not sure how many calories the meal you prepared was supposed to be but that could be a good indicator.
a quick search says that both Quaker old-fashioned oats and Quaker steel cut oats are 150cals per 40g dry.
MaryAnn wrote: a quick search says that both Quaker old-fashioned oats and Quaker steel cut oats are 150cals per 40g dry.

Figures, they're carbs and a but of protein which both have 4 calories per dry gram. So if totally dry you would expect 160 cals per 40g but 10% moisture is common in natural dry materials.
6 posts Page 1 of 1