The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

19 posts Page 2 of 2
Re: 5:2 and teenagers
09 May 2013, 10:54
I've been meaning to mention but I forgot... before you start thinking about diets for your teens, make sure that your teens are indeed in need of a diet and that they aren't just normal looking girls who aren't supermodel-skinny.

I will also speak of personal experience and say that around the first period, teenage girls might gain lots of weight. Before I got my first period and a few months after I got really fat. FAT!!! So much that my parents asked a doctor. He told them not to worry and it's probably hormonal and it will soon go away. And it did...

So, please don't fall in the trap of size zero, please don't let your kids have anorexic role models!!!
09 May 2013, 12:56
Definitely. Couldn't agree more.
09 May 2013, 16:04
I have 3 teenage girls. 2 of them know that I am doing this but are under strict instructions not to tell the 16 year old who thinks that she is fat, although she only wears a UK size 12 and is 5`6" so definitely not big. I am worried that she would see this as fine to not eat all day and then carry on for most days. I run and we have a cross trainer machine at home so encourage exercise for toning up. It is such a shame that normal eating habits have become so bad. My 15 year old has close friends who are diabetic and all of her friends, apart from one are on diets. At 15!! But saying that, her friends are allowed to help themselves to crisps and biscuits if they are hungry. Our children have to ask. .
09 May 2013, 16:13
I think that the trick is to not to have to ask about eating something when they are 15 but to know how much/often to eat them and to prefer something else over them.
According to my dad, our height distinguishes when we are supposed to eat something without asking. If you can reach it, you can eat it. Although perhaps he only says that to mock my mum who is tiny and can't even reach half the plates and glasses, LOLOLOL!!!
19 posts Page 2 of 2