The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

50 posts Page 4 of 4
Mine is low too but I wonder how sedentary sedentary is too? I work as a nurse so on work days I am NOT sedantary, even standing up when I write my notes etc... but on my days off ATM I rest up (had recent surgery).....

Cathy

TDEE
(SEDENTARY)
Based on your current age (50), height and weight your Resting Metabolic Rate* is estimated to be 1135.5. If you have a sedentary lifestyle this means you should be eating around 1363 calories on your feed days and 341 calories on your fast days in order to lose weight. If you have a fairly active lifestyle aim for around 1704 calories on feed days and 426 on your fasts to lose weight
Those who are losing weight should continue what they were doing and not overthink the TDEE. Mine is 1350 but I exercise a lot so it is probably closer to to the higher number which is 1680, however I do believe that the fast/famine approach has a magical effect on my metabolism. For years I maintained my weight on less calories then I'm eating now and when started the 5:2 diet, eating more than before ( 400-500 cals per week more) I lost weight, now I'm maintaining my new lower weight eating about 900 calories more per week than before. The weekly total calorie count is consistent with my estimated (active) TDEE and I didn't change much my exercise regime. In summary I think it is more than pure simple math. Dr.M. didn't care much about TDEE and didn't encourage counting calories ( although I am guilty of doing that). I really don't think that there is a need to go below the 500/600 cal limit on fast days or for anyone to limit their feed days calorie consumption to 1200, as this is worse than regular diet and non- sustainable.
cathy_rainbow wrote: Mine is low too but I wonder how sedentary sedentary is too? I work as a nurse so on work days I am NOT sedantary, even standing up when I write my notes etc... but on my days off ATM I rest up (had recent surgery).....

The metabolic rate for "standing relaxed" is the same as "Sedentary activity (office, dwelling, school, laboratory)" but "Standing, light activity (shopping, laboratory, light industry)" is about 35 cals/hr higher so perhaps 250-300 calories more per work day ??
BruceE wrote: What I did early on was to pretend that I was at my target weight and (moderate) activity and calculated a TDEE of almost exactly 2400 and figured if I stuck close to that on a weekly basis I would have a caloric deficit until I hit that weight, and then I wouldn't need to lose weight any longer. I'm not sure if that's the right way to go about it, though, because longer term might that just train my body to lower its metabolism, making my maintenance TDEE lower than 2400 once I reach my goal?

That approach is used by "fat2fit radio" too - eat for the person you want to be. The idea is to avoid a transition at the end and make maintenance easier.

As a maths bore I have to point out that it will take infinite time to achieve your goal using this method, as every reduction in metabolic rate reduces the calorie deficit that is moving your weight down. :cry:

Fat2fit acknowledge this by suggesting you knock 300 off the calories to improve the rate of progress.
I'm not surprised with my 1600 sedentary.Active days up to 2000. Much better to be more active and eat a bit more.

I think it is important to know how many calories there are in food, to have better understanding, but it does not have to be a lifelong regime to count.
50 posts Page 4 of 4