The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

18 posts Page 2 of 2
Re: This isn't working for me
11 May 2013, 19:12
I haven't weighed myself since I started 5:2 in April and even though I lost a few inches around my waist, hips and bust I don't feel any lighter and I think that is because I have increased my exercise levels (powerwalking and a few occasional isolated exercises)during the past few weeks. However, I do feel so much better and more active and these are certainly positive signs that encourage me to keep with 5:2
14 May 2013, 08:30
Some 'friends' asked me to join a team race with them (12 runners, about 200 miles). I went from an overweight couch potato to a runner doing 28 miles a week in 5 months. I gained 5 pounds.

I proved, and recent scientific studies have confirmed, there is no correlation between exercise and weight loss.

Your preparation for the race is very good for your health, but don't try to combine it with weight loss. They don't go together.
18 May 2013, 16:01
Can I just add as a runner - you don't gain muscle by running slowly- it's a myth. Unless you are sprinting or doing hills- long distances can actually eat into your muscle. Look at the long distance athletes- very slim and lean-where as sprinters are short, stocky and very muscular.
If you want to build muscle you must cross train- weights are invaluable and I have become a much better runner- I'm 10km to half marathon distance myself. I love weights and they have helped change my body shape from a dumpy pear to a leaner broad shouldered athletic build. Don't worry about getting too muscular- that takes years of intense training and supplements( both legal and illegal).i have the best figure I've ever had( according to my hubby) and I'm 44!! Ps I also do boxing as well which is very therapeutic !!! Good for PMT- should be on prescription!!
18 posts Page 2 of 2