The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

10 posts Page 1 of 1
Oats so simple
10 May 2013, 19:03
Hi All
Are Oats so simple suitable for a breakfast on a fast day 183 cals including the milk, my first fast day on Monday.
Thanks Carol
Re: Oats so simple
10 May 2013, 19:20
Hello, welcome to the forum and the 5:2 - you can have whatever u like on fast days as long as its within the 500 cals. A lot of people don't eat all day and save their 500 cals for a healthy evening meal. I have celery and carrot at lunch and the rest of my cals for a few coffees in the morning and then my evening meal, which is usually a ready meal with veg as I am lazy!

I find having breakfast turns on my hunger switch so I am best just to have a coffee on fast days, it depends what works best for you so its good to try different things out.
10 May 2013, 19:21
Hi Cazable,
Oats so Simple tastes nice but it would not be my choice for a fast day because it is a processed carb, albeit a bit better than other processed carbs like white bread or cornflakes. The best kind of porridge to go for is steelcut, or pinhead which requires to be soaked and then cooked for a while, so apart from that, the best thing to go for on a fast day is protein, not carbs! Bring on the poached eggs, boiled eggs, smoked salmon (if you're flush!). I believe Dr. Mosley breakfasts on canned tuna, don't think I would enjoy that, but eggs ,or if you are vegetarian, plain natural yogurt with berries would be fine. A miso or cup a soup if you struggle in the afternoon helps and of course lots of hot drinks and plenty of water until you have your evening meal.
10 May 2013, 19:52
I eat oats all the time when I'm fasting but I make them myself. 4 heaped TS of oats (40 grms) boiled in water is 150 calories.
10 May 2013, 20:07
If I eat breakfast on a fast day it is always oats with chia seeds added. (I also eat the same thing every feed day). I use rolled oats and make my own mixture. If a prepared mix works for you, then great. It's fiber and it seems that many people experience constipation on this diet. I haven't...I attribute it to the oats and veggies I have later in the day. I don't consume other high carb foods on a fast day. Oats are my only exception.

My only concern with a mix like that is the sugar and the potential for it to cause hunger later on. But it's really up to you and what works for you. The very worst that happens is you eat it and find that you're better off with some other plan.
10 May 2013, 20:15
Hi Cazable, do you really need breakfast? I used to always eat porridge for breakfast but 6 weeks in and 12 fasts down, I no longer eat in the mornings. It switches my hunger switch on, so as long as I don't start eating I can last out quite comfortably all day until my evening meal of approximately 250 calories. Strange but true!! Try both and see what works best for you. Good luck
10 May 2013, 20:40
I've eaten Oatso Simple every morning, fasting or not. I have a busy job where I am out of the house for long hours and need to be alert etc. I eat my porridge at 6am ish, then don't think about food until I sit down in the evening about 8pm for 300 cal evening meal. It's worked brilliantly for me - 17lbs lost and target weight reached in less than three months.
10 May 2013, 22:29
In the book Mimi uses the term 'plants and protein' for fast days. I know when I have jumbo rolled oats made into porridge with water I can go a number of hours before feeling hungry. Like many I started off by just having an evening meal. Each to their own. It really is trial and error to see what suits you best. If you want Oats So Simple you have it, just count it into your 500 cals.
11 May 2013, 15:09
Thanks for all the replies, looks like mixed views on the breakfast front. I will be trying to do my fast days when I am a late shift. 1 -9 pm which will make it easier as I wont be getting up at 6.30 am like I do on my early shifts. I will give the oats a go and see how I get on. Thanks all x Carol
11 May 2013, 18:43
I have breakfast every day and use Mornflake porage oats mixed with water on fast days and with milk on feast days.
10 posts Page 1 of 1