The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

8 posts Page 1 of 1
Anyone use psyllium husks?
14 May 2013, 07:19
I was thinking of using psyllium husks, which are a calorie-free fibre that you mix with water or cool herbal tea and drink to help you feel full. They are also used in colon cleansing and detox regimes, and help to regulate blood sugar among other things. I thought they would be good to use to get me through the first few hours of the fast day!

Does anyone else you these?
Re: Anyone use psyllium husks?
14 May 2013, 07:25
Yes.

They work fine. I used them in a clinical trial comparing the Atkins diet with a low fat (DASH) diet.

They were used for fiber in my experience.
18 May 2013, 02:21
I've started using a Swisse mix called "Dr Tickells Trimshot" which might now just be called "Ultiboost Trimshot". It's mostly psyllium with some additives that you should be able to check online if you're at all interested. It's done well keeping me feeling less like I'm starving myself. I've just had my best fasting day yet and I think it was helped by two servings of the Trimshot just taken in water. I'm only into my third week of 5:2 fasting so maybe I'm simply adapting to the process but having the extra low calorie bulk did seem to help me through the day much better.
18 May 2013, 02:38
yes, I've been using them for some time now, they're good for elimination if you are prone to constipation. I use them on fast and feed days, also to thicken vege soups on fast days.
18 May 2013, 03:52
jantra wrote: yes, I've been using them for some time now, they're good for elimination if you are prone to constipation. I use them on fast and feed days, also to thicken vege soups on fast days.

great idea I would not have thought to use them in that way I'm pinching the idea :like:
18 May 2013, 04:33
Be ready to find a loo as they do make you go
18 May 2013, 05:34
Sounds just like what I need! Do you have to take the powder form or are capsules ok?
18 May 2013, 05:50
Hi Swedey
You'll find it in the supermarket health food section usually with the breakfast cereals. Instructions on packet but I would n't go overboard. Pace yourself because it is to get you going and just to see how sensitive you are. Psyllium has lots of benefits just google
8 posts Page 1 of 1