The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

15 posts Page 1 of 1
Laxatives
14 May 2013, 08:46
Can anyone recommend one? Nothing too drastic, just, you know, to encourage the whole thing a bit....I know lots of you have the same problem!

Or do I have to resort to an extra hot green Thai coconut curry again? Actually, I like it so I might anyway...
Re: Laxatives
14 May 2013, 09:16
On my non fast days I have 200g yoghurt with 1 tablespoon chia seeds and 2 tablespoons oat bran and that seems to keep things moving if you know what I mean.........
14 May 2013, 09:17
have you tried a strong cup of coffee and some prunes? That should get things shifting. And lots of water. Once you are sorted, it might be worth drinking some apple or pear juice, ideally pressed or from a juicer (or just eat apples and pears) as the pectin in them help clean the gut.
14 May 2013, 09:23
Yes, I find apples are a great natural method. M&S often have Washington Red apples which have a very waxy, deep red skin and really juicy flesh. They're delicious and seem to keep my system running pretty well.
14 May 2013, 10:42
Already eat a fair amount of apples, rye bread etc. Curry it is then.
14 May 2013, 12:22
Just had this conversation with my mother. My vote is the curry because its yum. Dates are good too.
14 May 2013, 12:27
Fresh hot coffee first thing for me. If anyone doesnt drink tea or coffee, hot water with a slice of lemon not only gets things traveling south, but is also a good cleanser. I prefer the coffee option though :)
14 May 2013, 12:37
When is the best time to take laxatives? Fast days? Non-fast days?
14 May 2013, 13:21
Coffee. I'll try coffee.
17 May 2013, 01:42
I take dulcoease if I need something, it draws water back into the gut, so technically is a stool softener rather than a laxative, but I find it does the trick for me. I have IBS so laxatives are not a good idea. I'd say probably better to take these ones on a normal day, too easy to get dehydrated on a fast day!
17 May 2013, 01:56
I like that too Pilchards...If you let it stand for an hour or so, it taste like dessert. Heaps of water afterwards.
Great for cholesterol too
17 May 2013, 04:12
This works like a charm for me: 3 glasses of water first thing in the morning.
I would stay away from apples since they have to opposite effect. Kiwi, ripe pears and banans are really effective as well as prunes.
And coconut oil is also very good for this purpose....

Good luck!
17 May 2013, 07:25
I just remembered! Kiwi WITH the skin on! Oh my!!!It works!
17 May 2013, 08:04
Just back from a 20 minute jog - worked a treat :oops:
17 May 2013, 17:06
I am NOT recommending this as not good for you, but a large quantity of white wine last night did it for me! ;-0
15 posts Page 1 of 1