The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

5 posts Page 1 of 1
Confused with pre fast meal!
15 May 2013, 10:59
My fasting routine has become to have my last meal before 6pm on my Pre-Fast day and then spread my 500 cals out until 10am on the post fast day. Can anyone advise what is the best content for this pre-fast meal-high carb/low carb high protein/low protein? What is best and why? Thank you x
There was some evidence that showed a higher protein meal before fast was better than a higher carbohydrate, for the same fat. At least that's my recollection.

It created a longer lasting feeling of satisfaction.
Hi Shamac,
I have tried lots of different pre-fast meals and to be honest I haven't found that it makes that much difference.
If you're getting a full nights sleep, I think you've already started on the fasting process so that when you wake up the next day your body has already re-set somehow.
The only thing that I've found having a negativie impact is drinking too much alcohol, so that's something I'd be careful of.

Good luck with 5:2 :smile:
I've noticed that when I eat something sweet on the night before a fast I rarely feel hungry before lunch on the fast day.
On the other hand, since I eat dessert when I eat out and when I eat out I eat later and more than usual, perhaps it is that what makes the difference.
I haven't noticed a difference between high or low protein dinner and when I feel hungry the next day although I see the logic. I have pudding on the Sunday evening before my Monday fast and I'm not usually hungry on that morning.
5 posts Page 1 of 1