The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

22 posts Page 2 of 2
Re: shocked
16 May 2013, 08:22
Just wanted to add my voice to those celebrating no more weighing food and counting calories, at least 5 days a week. Bliss!

I had a fairly major blow out Sunday and Monday and got all depressed about it. Fast day Tuesday, weighed in on Wednesday, and I'd lost a pound. Amazing! In the best possible way! :)

The only thing puzzling me is that my body fat percentage isn't going down (I have one of those scales that measure body fat). Does this mean that the weight I'm losing is muscle rather than fat? Urk!
16 May 2013, 08:36
shachat wrote: Just wanted to add my voice to those celebrating no more weighing food and counting calories, at least 5 days a week. Bliss!

I had a fairly major blow out Sunday and Monday and got all depressed about it. Fast day Tuesday, weighed in on Wednesday, and I'd lost a pound. Amazing! In the best possible way! :)

The only thing puzzling me is that my body fat percentage isn't going down (I have one of those scales that measure body fat). Does this mean that the weight I'm losing is muscle rather than fat? Urk!

Those scales are notoriously unreliable as they rely on electrical impedence which can be affected by hydration levels, wet skin etc. A better measure is a simple tape measure and a mirror (in my opinion) - although I do have some of those scales as well.
16 May 2013, 08:52
shachat wrote: The only thing puzzling me is that my body fat percentage isn't going down (I have one of those scales that measure body fat). Does this mean that the weight I'm losing is muscle rather than fat? Urk!

That means you're losing weight in the same proportions as your body is to start with, if it's accurate.

So if you're 40% fat and lose 2 kg and stay at 40% fat you lost 0.8kg of fat and 1.2 kg of "fat free mass" which includes water etc but is unlikely to be bone.

Personally I see the fat % come down with weight on my scale but scales and people vary :smile:
16 May 2013, 12:00
Thanks, both. Much encouraged. Tape measure shows 2" off the waist (over 3 1/2 months!) - snail's pace but moving in the right direction.

Both sides of my family have a history of heart disease, high blood pressure and high cholesterol, so losing internal visceral fat is a strong motivator for me to follow the 5:2 way of life. That's why I get so disheartened at the lack of any evidence this is happening.

Still, I shall persevere. Next step is to up my exercise levels - that must make a difference.
16 May 2013, 12:19
I think some people are addicted to dieting. They've counted calories all their lives. Feeling guilty about enjoying food is their default position. The book says nothing about counting calories on feed days. I do think fasting improves my awareness of what hungry feels like, and what 'enough' feels like. And healthy eating doesn't mean that treats are daily events, but actually treats. Great news Bigfellanomore!
16 May 2013, 13:22
Hi all,
Loved bigfellas post ha ha I have less than a stone to lose, more vanity than health having been natuarally tall & slim all my life. Middle age & a combination of not having a big garden & less time to go on long walks due to work hours etc has caused 10lb of unwanted blubber! I gave this diet a go in January & was unable to lose weight. I would lose 2lb after the 2 day fast & that would re-appear on non fast days only to go again so basically remaining the same. I gave up but now my favourite clothes don't fit I'm trying it again. I get very excited reading all this fat loss & hoping that it will be me this time! ( please) I'm active ie a non sedentary job, run upstairs & always charging about & go to the gym 2-3 times a week etc etc.So why it didn't work for me? Mimi is tall & only wanted to lose because of vanity so it can't be that you have to be obese ! I'm hoping! :?:
17 May 2013, 00:19
I have an artificial hip, so the fat percentage scales don't even *work* for me, LOL, the metal in my hip mucks up the impedance etc.

i LOVE not feeling like I have to count calories or watch what I eat closely on my 'feast' days.
22 posts Page 2 of 2