The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

4 posts Page 1 of 1
Body Fat Percentage
16 May 2013, 03:09
I am wondering about Body Fat Percentage.
I have a scale that measures: weight, fat %, Water %, Muscle and BMI.
The Fat % shown on the scale is significantly higher than when I use other 'online' fat % calculators.

My scale indicates + 40%. (currently 41.7%)
Online Calculators vary: 35%, 34.39% and one even said 27%!

Does anyone have an accurate calculator?
Re: Body Fat Percentage
16 May 2013, 03:18
I can't imagine that the online calculators are anything other than an estimate. Home scales are actually measuring something but are notoriously inaccurate. I would believe the home scale more than an online calculator, but I would pay more attention to changes in % fat rather than the actual number.
16 May 2013, 05:51
My body fat calculator on my scales only measure up to 50% body fat and keeps having a melt down when I weigh. I am glad I gave up my talking scales -I just imagine it yelling 'one person at a time' at me. :lol:
16 May 2013, 06:28
I got my body fat measured on the machine at my gym and it came out at 41.8% (ouch). I also found an on line calculator :

(1.20 x BMI) + (0.23 x Age) - (10.8 x gender) - 5.4

(where gender = 1 for males/ 0 for females) and it came out at 39.1% so I figured it was reasonably accurate.

I've also seen a graph somewhere, which estimates it based on gender age and BMI and it's in the 35-40% range.

Whatever the figure - it's too high!!
4 posts Page 1 of 1