The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

33 posts Page 2 of 3
I have the same sort of thinking regarding calling the 500calorie days fast days. When I do, I typically put quotation marks around them..."fast" days.
Ah, yes, I too refer them as 500-calories days when I mention them to Greek people because fast means Lent in Greek and it is related to religion.
NFD for non-fast day. Not all that exciting, I know. I have pretty much internalized healthy eating on a daily basis. I just allow myself a BIT more leeway for treats like wine, cheese and a slice of good bread with fruit or healthy Mexican food (my favorite). The key is to not snack, but enjoy them as part of a meal (2 or 3 per NFD.) Since my appetite is reduced, I get full before I overdo.

I think if I were to snack willy nilly, I would soon be in trouble. :cry:
My husbands eyes lit up when I mentioned having a wicked weekend :wink: soon put him right though :grin:
I just call them 'normal days'. Just like before 5:2 sometimes I have healthy meals and sometimes I have a day like today - that's KFC for lunch and Chinese for tea! Although these days I naturally eat half the amount and can't continue eating if I'm full, and I do find I'm conscious not to go crazy so I don't undermine the fast days.

If you're really craving sugar maybe cut it out of you diet completely for a week, 7 days is long enough to banish my chocolate and sweet cravings. Good luck x
Ginty wrote: I have no problems at all on fasting days especially since I adopted (think it was Tracieknits) idea of calling them repair days so it must all be in the mind,

Like you I really liked the idea of repair days and adopted it as well. (Thank you 'inventor'' :smile: ) I didn't think I really used a word for the other days (but can understand the picture the word feast might conjure up), but now I think about it, in my mind I suppose I think of the other days more as "rest" days, as in 'take it easy' , as that is just what I want to do.

So for me perhaps it is repair and rest days.
Like Peter I call them feast days. Just like the alliteration and the allusion to our ancestors lifestyle. Their feast would have been healthy - not at all like a modern 'binge' on processed muck.
Freedom - I don't worry about what I eat except that I don't want to loose what I have gained on the fast days. I try to listen to my body and not pig out. No counting calories and one treat a day :lol:
I call my fast days my diet days as that's what my hubby and kids call them (it was to hard trying to explain exactly what fasting is to them).
My feast days I call freedom days as well
I too am learning to listen to by body more and my snacking is way down. I'm using just half approach on freedom days.
Meaning by just making half of what I think I want.
Because it freedom day I know I can go back and make another piece of toast or go and get the other half of that slice of cake I cut but I am finding I rarely do go back.
I guess non-fast. Usually in the form: oh yeah, I'm not fasting today. I like healthy eating day. When I start to feel peckish on these days, I first drink a glass of water. I need to drink more water anyway. If I'm still hungry after that, I eat something.
I call them Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday. They are just ordinary days. I eat mostly healthily but sometimes have a treat. Had a Black Espresso Magnum today and it was yummy! What was different from before I started 5:2 is that I only had one!
Chook aren't those black magnums wonderful!! On fast days I call the next day "yay I can eat".
Thanks for all your replies, it's interesting to see that most of you just think of them as normal days. Suppose my problem is that I'm a bit of a binge eater normally if I'm honest :oops:

vebnorahs wrote: If you're really craving sugar maybe cut it out of you diet completely for a week, 7 days is long enough to banish my chocolate and sweet cravings. Good luck x

Think I'll have to give this a try though I doubt 7 days will be long enough to get rid of my sweet tooth, I used to be one of those people who when out for a meal looked at the pudding menu 1st but things are slowly changing & lately I've been know to turn down a dessert :shock:

cmce wrote: I didn't think I really used a word for the other days (but can understand the picture the word feast might conjure up), but now I think about it, in my mind I suppose I think of the other days more as "rest" days, as in 'take it easy' , as that is just what I want to do.

So for me perhaps it is repair and rest days.

Thanks cmce like the idea of rest & repair days, will try & get my poor old brain to think in those terms :lol:
33 posts Page 2 of 3