The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

5 posts Page 1 of 1
Eating after a fast day
22 May 2013, 19:05
hi All

I'm only on week two of this and yesterday had fast day number 3. I've so far found the fast days not easy, but definitely not as hard as I thought they would be. Just the though that I can "have that tomorrow" seems to get me through!

Anyway...I had my 500 Cals yesterday and today by the time I finished lunch had only had around 650 cals (lots of fruit and salad) so I figured I had the leeway to have something a bit heavier for dinner and settled on mac & cheese - a real favourite of mine. I didn't even get halfway through the (admittedly generous) plateful before I gave up. My stomach just was not having it! I'm not sure if it was the fatty/stodginess or the fact it was a big portion, but I have now spent the evening so far feeling super bloated. Is this normal for the day after a fast?? I am fasting again tomorrow (I had wanted to do Friday but it's not going to be possible unfortunately) so hopefully I will deflate again then!! :doh:
Re: Eating after a fast day
22 May 2013, 19:12
As far as I've gathered, it's a natural part of the diet, your stomach shrinks a little as it gets less put into it, therefore appetite is a bit less. I've found the same thing. It's a good thing I think :D
22 May 2013, 19:13
Some people do state that they can't eat the quantities that they did before so, yes, it is normal.
05 Jun 2013, 11:30
I noticed this yesterday after my first fast. And have to say I found it a little disappointing. I take so so much pleasure from food and had a beautifully cheesy and creamy salmon pasta bake for dinner which I just couldn't finish. I ate half and then waited and ate the rest cold a little later. It was rank and I was merely chomping like a robot but I couldn't bear the thought of leaving it.
Spose it takes a while for these "must finish everything on your plate" habits to stop lingering
05 Jun 2013, 11:42
It took me a while to learn to take less and therefore eat less but I am learning what my stomach can comfortably hold. Occasionally I fall into old bad habits and I have noticed it is usually with favourite meals but overall I now take less food in the first place.

Try eating off a smaller plate like maybe use a luncheon plate rather than a dinner plate.
5 posts Page 1 of 1