The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

7 posts Page 1 of 1
I have been doing the 5:2 and 4:3 laster for about 3 weeks total now, doing really well with it, but have noticed when waking up in the morningafter my day of fasting, my muscles and bones feel a bit stiffer than usual until I get moving. Not in a bad way, as I still feel good and energetic, and not famished even, but just wondering what it could be or if anyone else feels that way. I am getting good rest so that's not it, just have to get moving a bit.
Michael
I wonder if it could be dehydration. I notice that I'm VERY thirsty during the night after a fast. Or, if you drank a lot of water, you may have thrown your electrolyte balance off.

Good luck figuring it out.
Margret
I do drink an excessive amount of water on my fast days(Like 16-20 glasses), and on feeding days as I know that flushes your system when losing weight. I usually stop early in the evening though so I am not going to the bathroom all night long. I do know that too much water can remove too much sodium from your body.

Maybe that is it.
Please, make yourself aware of water intoxication (yes, it's a real thing). If you're drinking those five litres of water over a short period, you're in danger.
I am aware of water intoxication, but it is not over a short period. Over about a 10 hour period. From what I read it would have to be drunk in a very short period of time so not sure it would apply in my situation. I am a big guy - 230 lbs still, so I can't imagine that would be it if that is what I am drinking all day long, but I will cut way back and see what happens.
Or maybe have one of those sports drinks with electrolytes if they make a sugar free version. Or miso soup.
I don't like the sugar and general chemically weirdness of sports drinks so I use a product called Tri-Salts. Here's a listing on the Amazon US site: http://www.amazon.com/Cardiovascular-Research-Tri-Salts-200-powder/dp/B00014DY5S.

You just mix a bit in water. It's chalky but tolerable.

Easy does it though, it'll loosen your bowels if you over do it because of the magnesium. Start with 1/8 t, work to 1/4 t, and go from there. Those were the doses my nurse gave me.

BTW, great for a hangover too :dazed:
7 posts Page 1 of 1