The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

7 posts Page 1 of 1
:confused:
Don't know if this has been posted already. Article in the - Telegraph chefs hand- wringing about people not eating 3 meals a day!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healt ... -diet.html
"And if someone was diabetic, for example, it could be extremely dangerous" Well duh, that's why you talk to a doctor first if you have that kind of illness. Honestly, why don't they do their research?

And them all saying, just lose the weight by exercise, what if you cannot exercise? For some, exercise is more dangerous than fasting.

Conclusion: chefs do not necessarily know what they are talking about :razz:
Excuse me but what a load of old cobblers! Thats being polite about it!
Of course chefs don't like the sound of this WOE. They want us to gorge on their creations, never mind that we may put weight on in the process.

Hugh F-W has the right idea. He certainly looks well.

It's about time people realised that the likes of Nigella Lawson et al are sometimes encouraging people to eat unhealthily, with no regard as to the ensuing health problems which may occur.
Chefs should embrace 5:2 because beside fasting, it encourages people cook and to eat 'proper food' not slimmers ready meals or cook with fry light!! I am not sure they have understood what it's about - it is about enjoying food, whilst keeping the numbers under control and listening to your body.
HFW lost 8 lbs in a fortnight, wow! Men seem to lose weight more easily than women. Wonder if he was eating loads before. Celebrity chefs came under the spotlight in the media recently for having more calories & bad stuff in their recipes than some ready meals. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-20713985 Personally, I much prefer the short sharp shock of 2 days of calorie restricting than doing exercise (not that I'm sitting on my bum all day anyway). Last time I visited a gym I fell off the treadmill :) I also heard on the radio the other week that some foodstuffs made for the UK have more bad stuff & therefore more calories in them than the same items made for the continent, eg., France. So it's not just our fault.
Chefs, unless they are slim and active and have maintained their weight over a time period, really don't have a lot of credibility when talking about something like 5:2. Most of them are overweight to some degree--getting more so as time goes on. TV chefs add butter and a shocking amount of salt to food. They go hog wild over bacon. Not role models, I'd say! The American TV cook Paula Deene is the poster child for this. Or I should say, WAS, until she finally admitted to being diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. Since then, she has obviously modified a bit.

If you fast 2 days and continue to eat crappy food (ie. fake food full of additives, hidden sugar and salt), then I agree you're not doing yourself many favors with 5:2. But, if you start eating real food in moderation on normal days along with the fast days, I think you are retraining your tastes and your desire for food.

Sustainable? Oh yeah!
7 posts Page 1 of 1