The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

15 posts Page 1 of 1
Trigger Foods
25 May 2013, 09:55
Hello Everybody!

I've been thinking about foods that set me off on a binge - I think I have that 'might as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb mentality'! And of foods that make me crave more food - I guess these are foods that don't really satisfy and send my blood sugars doolally.

Anyway, culprit number one is crusty French bread. Especially if it's warm. And it's not just the bread. I'll want butter with it. And maybe some ripe Brie.

Kettle crisps. If I open the bag, I'll eat the whole bag. I can't just eat my 25g 'portion'.

Rankin's Wheaten or Soda bread. It is lovely toasted - with butter, of course.

Those are the three main foods that, when I eat them, seem to set off a silly pattern of eating for the whole day. So I avoid buying them - having recognised them as 'trigger foods'.

What are your trigger foods?
Re: Trigger Foods
25 May 2013, 10:43
BBQ Rice Crackers (or any rice cracker really but BBQ is my favourite). I just don't buy them anymore b/c I can not have just one or if I do just one = just one pack.

I do let myself have some if I go to a party but no way will I buy them and just have them sitting in my pantry. Definite danger food for me.
25 May 2013, 10:49
Definitely cake - I live with 2 avid bakers so there is always freshly baked cakes in our house. At the moment it's lemon drizzle cupcakes...I managed to restrict myself to 2 for breakfast!
25 May 2013, 10:56
Moptop wrote: Hello Everybody!

I've been thinking about foods that set me off on a binge - I think I have that 'might as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb mentality'! And of foods that make me crave more food - I guess these are foods that don't really satisfy and send my blood sugars doolally.

Anyway, culprit number one is crusty French bread. Especially if it's warm. And it's not just the bread. I'll want butter with it. And maybe some ripe Brie.

Kettle crisps. If I open the bag, I'll eat the whole bag. I can't just eat my 25g 'portion'.

Rankin's Wheaten or Soda bread. It is lovely toasted - with butter, of course.

Those are the three main foods that, when I eat them, seem to set off a silly pattern of eating for the whole day. So I avoid buying them - having recognised them as 'trigger foods'.

What are your trigger foods?

I like the idea of trigger foods. It's a useful concept and might be an effective strategy to keep out of the way of them.
25 May 2013, 10:58
Ice cream - especially the gourmet ones with yummy stuff and sauces mixed in - eating it straight from the tub makes it all disappear way to quickly :cry: . Fortunately it isn't ice cream season in Australia :lol: (it is almost winter)
25 May 2013, 11:07
food... Any and all, which is why on my fast days its much easier not to eat anything till evening!
25 May 2013, 11:13
Bread gets me going, almost any kind, with or without toppings.
25 May 2013, 11:14
I totally agree plus I always feel like once I have started I may as well finish off the day and start again fresh tomorrow, but obviously can do a lot of damage in that day.
Definitely bread for me and crisps of any sort infact I am more of a snacker than big meals really and also eat more on my own than in company which obviously says something about me.
25 May 2013, 11:16
Chocolate for me. Oh I sooo love chocolate! Any sugar will do it to a degree but one sniff of a Flake and I'm anybody's!
25 May 2013, 11:53
Moptop, am with you on Rankins bread - I'm obsessed with it, especially spread with some sort of soft cheese!

Our family make a version of pasta amatriciana which I find utterly addictive, I can have a larger portion than my Dad! So I don't make it at home, too mich temptation - especially with heaps of parmesan!

Biscuits and cake. Once I cave, I'm a write off.
25 May 2013, 11:59
Pizza is the magic binge food for me. I swear I could be stuffed from a full-out Thanksgiving dinner (turkey, potatos, stuffing, etc) and if you put a pizza on the table I will still want to eat a slice (or more). There have been many times when I'm craving pizza and I've made myself look up the nutritional information so I realize how bad it is.
25 May 2013, 12:03
Ice cream is my trigger. It doesn't matter what the weather is like. Winter or summer, it still calls to me.
25 May 2013, 12:09
chocolate and sweet popcorn!
25 May 2013, 12:35
Alcohol, if I have more than a couple in the afternoon, I'll come home and scarf everything that's standing still or barely moving and only have a vague recollection in the morning. And I no longer have cookies or desserts in my house, funny how they can just keep calling to me, lol (except 90% dark chocolate, 1 square does it for me). Also, can't have any left-overs in the fridge on a fast-day, too tempting to just have a nibble.
25 May 2013, 12:36
If I'm hungry then I'm hungry, I don't see any reason to stop eating, LOL!
I do remember though that when I was a kid I couldn't stop eating my mum's tiny meatballs.

BTW, I think that whoever said that a portion of chips is 25grms they are either mad or not human!!!
15 posts Page 1 of 1