The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

12 posts Page 1 of 1
What day do you weigh yourself?
01 Feb 2013, 09:34
One thing I have been pondering is when to weigh myself re fluctuations. The morning after a fast and before breakfast usually shows a good loss but the morning after a "feast" it has always crept up again a little - not back to start weight but enough to show that we can't measure our progress over a week or two but have to wait for the long term.

I am happy that today's weigh in (week 3) has taken me back to showing an overall 4.25lb loss. However, it is the day after my fast so I wonder what it will be tomorrow. I gained in week 2 because I only managed to fit in one fast day that week and the rest of the week ate and drank more than usual as I had a lot of social activities involving food and alcohol. And, when I weighed myself last Friday I had not fasted the day before.

I think that is unrealistic to expect plain sailing with the weight loss but, I don't know about you, I find the surge in energy after a fast is very good for my mental health and likely to keep me going at times when the weight is not shifting.
Daily after toilet before dressing. I put the numbers into a phone app called "Libra" and it does a moving average calculation to determine the underlying trend.
That sounds a good app. I am getting a new smart phone soon so will look into it. Thanks for the tip Phil.
Officially, I weigh in Fri for stats though I do check during the week too (when i see my weight yo-yo up and down!)

Hopefully all these ups and down will be tiny, almost imperceptible blips over the course of a year. :)

I like your 'living it large' comment! What will you be doing, I ask myself? All night rave? :lol:
Every Friday morning after my fast day, I can't see the point getting on the scales any other time, it will always fluctuate, why set yourself up to feel disappointed.
First Sunday of the month after a loo trip! SUnday is a fast day but the previous one could have been any from Tue to Thurs.
I measure fortnightly though.
I use an app (Monitor My Weight) - I weigh myself daily and record on the app but Friday (in my mind) is the day that I say to myself - Oh! I've lost XXX this week!. It's really interesting seeing how after fast days the graph dips quite dramatically, then on the feast day it goes up slightly - so it's a bit like taking 2steps forward, 1 back - but the overall outcome is a downward trend. :) Anyone with a 'smart' phone - give it a try. It's a bit of fun and I must say I LOVE watching the graph go downwards - it's another little spurt of inspiration (Hope that's not too sad!!)
www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/online/hdo.html provides an online logging and trending tool
Surely the place to log your results is here at the Tracker - http://www.52fastdiet.co.uk/tracker.php? If it lacks any functions you want, ask Moogie and in two whisks of a lambs tail she will probably have it implemented for you!
The tracker here doesn't allow decimal pounds, ignoring the decimal point and generating a silly BMI by taking 84 as the number of pounds rather than the intended 8.4 (should be validated to be less than 14 TBH).

I've activated it to see what it does, don't see a graph or a trending capability ??

Also I'm not actually doing the fasting ATM so don't want to clutter up any group stats.
Hi Phil, the absence of decimals in the tracker is an omission I agree, I think from something she wrote elsewhere that Moogie plans to fix it. It will draw you a graph if you provide a few data points (I am not sure how many it needs). You can put in some data to test and then (please) delete it afterwards. It doesn't have any trending capability, I'm sure it could be added if Moogie felt it would be widely appreciated.

There's a further wider benefit to entering your data here in that it becomes part of the wider data pool here (http://www.52fastdiet.co.uk/tracker.php?p=stats). This is helpful for individuals to compare themselves with average performance (not just overall averages, but filtered averages by diet type, starting BMI, gender etc), and also will (in my opinion) provide really significant evidence for how effectively 5:2 works for weight loss (and waist!) loss.
I have been keeping a daily record of my weight on the live strong app but, as I started this WOE on 4th Jan, today is my 'official' weight. I'm happy to report a loss of 8lbs and plan to carry on until another 20lbs have melted away, unless OH says I look like a prune and need to haul back!
12 posts Page 1 of 1