The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

9 posts Page 1 of 1
Portion Control
28 May 2013, 21:51
How long does it take to learn not to over stuff yourself? Did roast lamb for tea and just had too much. Now feel uncomfortable which wouldn't have bothered me previously. Going to fast tomorrow and looking forward to it.(Fast no 3)

Any tips to stop me being such a pig on feast days?

Claire
Re: Portion Control
28 May 2013, 21:59
It just takes a bit of time but quite soon you'll have a day when you realise you didn't even think of overeating or that you haven't thought about a snack at all. Very liberating. :clover:
28 May 2013, 22:31
I'm just over 5 weeks in and I have gotten better over the last few weeks but just the other day I overate just not thinking loaded plate with pre 5:2 size meal so it is a learning curve, reduced snacking happens quicker IMO I found i'm a lot more aware i'm not snacking anywhere near what I used too.
28 May 2013, 22:37
It took me quiet a while and to be honest I still find myself over-indulging on feed days from time to time, that's when I look forward to my next fast :-)
29 May 2013, 02:35
It can be difficult to judge how much to put on your plate but if you find that your plate is full then eat a quarter to half and set it aside. If in an hour or more you are actually still hungry then have a few more bites. Not since I was little have I been told to eat everything on my plate. ;)
29 May 2013, 02:49
Portion control is challenging for me too. I did find that the novelty of the feed days started to wear off, so after a while I wasn't stuffing myself as much on those days as when I started 5:2. I try to be semi responsible but there are some foods, like take out Chinese, that I will always overeat. This past Sunday I went to a very nice all you can eat brunch and I only got one plate of food and a small amount of soup I wanted to try, which is not my usual approach. These days I'm trying to watch what I do a bit on the feed days because I'm trying to get to a specific goal; however, I am not counting calories or depriving myself. On the feed days I also try to work out more and, sort of by habit, skip certain meals when I'm not feeling too hungry (my "hungry" gauge is totally re-set thanks to 5:2). So, if I am doing something special that day, such as lunch or dinner out, I don't worry about the extra calories. Like others have said, I fill up much faster and I do far less all day grazing than I used to as a result of fasting. hope this helps.
29 May 2013, 18:41
Thanks guys.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one with eyes too big for their belly. 3rd fast day done :-)

Onwards and hopefully downwards

Claire
29 May 2013, 21:41
I'm a complete binge eater, I've spent my last two feast days eating takeaway, chocolate and snacking. I thought I would be better at eating normally after fasting, but it didn't happen! I have my first weigh in on monday, and I'm thinking I wouldn't have lost anything or worse- gained because i cant control my eating. I'm not even hungry I'm just a food addict. Would love to read peoples advice too xx
29 May 2013, 22:03
GrannyC, use My Fitness Pal to check your portion counts. Counts carbs etc too.
9 posts Page 1 of 1