The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

8 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone,

This is my first time posting on the forums all the way from NZ. The 5:2 Diet is still relatively unknown here, but I think it'll take off!

I'm only on day 3 of this new eating regime, but so far, so good. Monday was my first fast, which was easier than I expected (so much so that I wonder if miscounted how many calories I ate?!).

I do think something's working though - even if it's only in my head. I feel lighter and as though I have more energy. I hope this continues!!

Tomorrow is my next fast day, which leads me to my question - do you have any tips or tricks for fasting at work?

I'm a writer and I find I need to eat regularly to keep my brain functioning well. I have a lot of deadlines tomorrow - do any of you know of low-calorie snacks that are good for brain function?

On Monday I ate 1/2 cup plain oats cooked in water with 1/4 cup berries, then lettuce greens, a carrot and a tbsp of hummus for lunch, then 2x chicken drumsticks for dinner.

My stomach felt fine but my brain felt 'foggy' during the day. I want to eat the right foods for maximum concentration tomorrow.

Any tips?!

Thanks so much!
Hi and welcome :)

Congratulations on finding and embarking on this wonderful way of life! Well done on your first few fasts and good on you for thinking ahead to plan your days like this.

In terms of work, I think you'll find that within a few weeks your concentration will be just fine whether you eat during the day or not, but until then make sure you drink plenty of tea or coffee to keep your brain going :) I'd be inclined to suggest something like a banana (I know, quite a high calorie fruit) as they're great for so many reasons.

I'm sure a few more medically/dietary minded folks here can give you some good tips for brain food though. Aren't fish and nuts supposed to be good? Maybe a tuna salad? And snack on some seeds/dried berries in the day?
A salty drink like bouillon or miso helps me get out of a fog on a fast day. :)
hey - my wife and I started on the same day as you, fast day 2 today, and we're also in NZ (Chch) - I'm finding it quite easy to just have an egg for breakfast and nothing else until dinner. I consider the fast to be over at dinnertime, as we manage a good size plate then. We just have to knock off the after-dinner treats (easy) and the wine (not as easy). Keep in touch if you want some support.
I find weekend fasts much easier than workday ones, especially if I am doing a lot of writing, or other tasks that require so much concentration. I don't really have any tips, but it definitely has gotten easier.
Welcome to the forums, Richncol! I hope you enjoy it here :-)
I am about to start the 5:2 for life!

As of Monday 3rd June i will be a Faster and i am very scared about giving in. I lost 3 stone on the Dukan Diet but it was just too restrictive. Now i am looking for a diet that i dont have to think about day to day but will help me live a healthier lifestyle and get rid of that last stone that seems to never leave!

What shall i do if i struggle on my girst few weeks of Fast days bearing in mind i sit at a desk all day???

thanks X
KaySan24 wrote: I am about to start the 5:2 for life!

As of Monday 3rd June i will be a Faster and i am very scared about giving in.

What shall i do if i struggle on my girst few weeks of Fast days bearing in mind i sit at a desk all day???

thanks X

Welcome to the forum KaySan24! Don't worry prematurely. The best thing you can do is come up with a food plan for you fast day. There are a lot of ideas on the forum, browse around then make your plan, drink plenty of fluids ie: water, fizzy water, tea/coffee (count the calories for milk/sugar from your 500). Many find their fasts are much easier when they are at work keeping busy. Go for a walk or run some errands during breaks and lunch. It's not really difficult (more a mind over tummy) but don't stress if your first fast isn't perfect. Good luck and keep us posted of your progress. :)
8 posts Page 1 of 1