The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

13 posts Page 1 of 1
Sorry for the second thread of the day... :-( I'm a very anxious newbie, lol.

Just wondering (might seem an obvious question, i'm sorry) what actually causes the weight loss on the 5:2 diet? (I haven't watched the documentary on it..) Is it the fact that throughout a week you are at a calorie deficit to what you are burning?

Also - are there any 'negatives' to this diet i.e restricting your body of vital nutrients on fast days?

I'm sorry for all the questions. x
Yes, a calorie deficit. For ~23 hours many people don't eat any calories and just have a 500 or 600 calorie dinner, then a normal breakfast the following day.

I doubt anyone gets 100% of everything they need every day so you'll have to cover your minerals & vitamins, essential fats and proteins etc over the whole week.
I found the book well worth reading and I try to optimise my overall diet with quality generally made from scratch meals. IMO 5:2 a good way to go, once you get a few fast days under your belt you will be feeling lots of positives
PhilT wrote: I doubt anyone gets 100% of everything they need every day so you'll have to cover your minerals & vitamins, essential fats and proteins etc over the whole week.

Thus eating fairly healthily on 'feast' days?
Well, we all need to eat healthy foods full of goodness to get the nutrients we need, but that doesn't mean you can't eat cake, biscuits, crisps, takeaways etc too. Just don't pig out on them on a daily basis. I certainly have chocolate, biscuits and/or cake most feed days - and probably a takeaway a week too. I'm no saint on my feed days, but that's not to say I don't try to ensure I get the goodness I need as well as the 'badness' ;)
Moogie wrote: Well, we all need to eat healthy foods full of goodness to get the nutrients we need, but that doesn't mean you can't eat cake, biscuits, crisps, takeaways etc too. Just don't pig out on them on a daily basis. I certainly have chocolate, biscuits and/or cake most feed days - and probably a takeaway a week too. I'm no saint on my feed days, but that's not to say I don't try to ensure I get the goodness I need as well as the 'badness' ;)

Moogie - are you still losing weight? How long did it take you to lose weight initially? (I noticed somewhere you said that you started the diet on 1400 calories a day on feed days..)
Yes I am, although having just been away on holiday with no fasting (and my birthday just after) I overindulged and am now re-losing a bit of weight ;) Thankfully coming off again quickly enough!

The weight loss slowed down to about 2lb a month in recent months, but with a switch to a liquid fast (close to 0 cals) for one of the days I seem to have a bit of a boost. I know my real problem is that I haven't reduced my intake on feed days since losing weight and my TDEE is now more like 1600 (whereas after the first few weeks of 1400 or so cals I went up to eating around 2000 as my TDEE was actually around 1950).

I had a lot of weight to lose, so it's come off pretty easily. The less I have to lose the slower it seems to come off. Your 4lbs could take a while my dear, but I for one love being able to eat relatively freely on all but 2 days of the week and still see the scales come down, however slowly.

I still have another stone I'd like to shift, but for now I'll be happy with about 6-7lbs to get to my initial goal.
misshannahlouise wrote: Thus eating fairly healthily on 'feast' days?
yep, or using supplements to cover any identified deficiencies.

Your meal replacement shakes are probably loaded with micronutrients and would be one option for fast days and maybe one meal each feed day.
PhilT wrote:
misshannahlouise wrote: Thus eating fairly healthily on 'feast' days?
yep, or using supplements to cover any identified deficiencies.

Your meal replacement shakes are probably loaded with micronutrients and would be one option for fast days and maybe one meal each feed day.

What are micronutrients?

So do you think combining both diets could be a good idea?
micronutrients are minerals and vitamins

macronutrients are carbs, protein and fat

5:2 gives you a 21.5% reduction in calories over the week, yuo could combine that with a modest daily restriction if you had a lot to lose, I don't really have a strong opinion.
PhilT wrote: micronutrients are minerals and vitamins

macronutrients are carbs, protein and fat

5:2 gives you a 21.5% reduction in calories over the week, yuo could combine that with a modest daily restriction if you had a lot to lose, I don't really have a strong opinion.

I only have about 5 lbs to lose, that's why it's all proving so difficult and i'm thinking of sticking to my original diet :frown:
If you only have 5lbs to lose - you might lose more quickly on your original diet, but you may find it more difficult to maintain. I am fairly confident that I will be able to continue eating this way even after I reach my ideal weight, if it means I can maintain and still indulge a bit at the weekend. I certainly never felt that on weightwatchers.

Don't start thinking you will fail. You may find you lose fairly quickly, you may decide to have 0 calories (or liquid fast) on fast days, or give 4:3 a go. Personally I felt the same as you after the couple of weeks - weight not coming off quickly enough, should I try doing something else, and I just couldn't face sticking to another diet if there was any chance this would work. I gave it a bit longer and the weight is dropping off - not rapidly but steadily.
Hi Again not sure if this helps but Kiehira's recent topic free book if you've not read Dr Ms maybe this may help I've just got it on my tablet to read later. Sue
13 posts Page 1 of 1