The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

6 posts Page 1 of 1
Diets?
01 Jun 2013, 16:10
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone does any other 'diets' on their non fast days to help keep them on track with food and eating sensibly? And does combining 2 fast days with another diet help?
Re: Diets?
01 Jun 2013, 16:17
Hi Karen
I'm not following any 'diet' as such on non-fast days but am conscious of eating sensibly most of the time. I have been an on-off dieter for most of my adult life, constantly counting calories, so have a pretty good idea of what constitutes a healthier choice! The beauty of this plan is not having to count calories on non-fast days... I don't mean eat everything and anything as this could over-compensate for fast days, but it's lovely and liberating not to have to worry about counting everything that passes my lips!
01 Jun 2013, 16:25
Sorry Karen but can not get my head round why you would want to do 2 diets at the same time!!
5:2 is about reducing cals 2 out of 7 day a week. As Jacqui says, just be careful not to go mad on the other 5 days.
Sorry. Not having a go, just puzzled.
01 Jun 2013, 16:37
This is the beauty of 5:2, or whatever permutation one follows: it's not a diet in the traditional sense. I so totally never want to obsess over calories again, except on fast days (or low-cal days, as I've started calling them), and even then I don't obsess over them much.

It's been a long time since I stuck with a diet for more than a couple of days, as life always tended to intervene. This method is absolutely brilliant. Why not give it a try "as is" and then tweak it later if you're not seeing the results you want?
01 Jun 2013, 16:44
Personally I've never been on a formal diet, but I have read of a few people starting 5:2 whilst continuing Slimming World or Weight Watchers and they've quickly dropped the 'diet' and have fully embraced the 5:2 WoE and WoL. It can be done but it isn't necessary. With 5:2 you are really only on a 'diet' 2 days a week. No reason to complicate a very simple and sustainable plan. :)
01 Jun 2013, 19:16
In my opinion, 5:2 (or 4:3 etc.) is not a weight loss diet. It is a WOE. Weight loss diets focus on what (foods) you eat. 5:2 focuses on how you eat (at its heart, you eat less food).

For 'fast' days, find foods you enjoy eating (drinking) and eat 500 cal. worth. For 'feast' days, find foods you love and eat them in moderation. Focus on getting your fast days down first, and over time you might be amazed at how your eating patterns and food choices change.

And, as you are new to 5:2, don't view it as a quick weight loss fix. You will be very successful if you lose between 3/4 and 1 1/4 pounds a week. But you will be able to do that for as long as you want - because you can eat all of the foods you love! :smile:
6 posts Page 1 of 1